Betta questions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Talene

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, so I just got a beta fish only a few days ago and when I first got him he looked great. The day after I got him I noticed a white patch, almost like his face was turning grey, under his mouth. It has spread to most of his bottom face and he looks pretty sickly. He still eats and swims around a lot. I don't really know what his normal behavior is because I haven't had him for that long. He doesn't build any bubble nests though and he seems kinda scared of me :( Is it possible he is just really stressed?

I have him in a 5.5 gallon tank with a few plants. I have a small heater but I think I have to get a new one because the water isn't warm enough. It is currently at 73-75 degrees, is that too cold? I also don't have a filter because I now they don't like ripples but I have been doing 30-50% water changes everyday. At first I thought it could have been ammonia burns but the pictures online don't really look like my fish. I also did some research on bacteria infections and fungus. It doesn't look like there is something growing on him, he is just changing color. Could he possibly have columnaris. Some of the pictures look similar to my fish. If he does have that then how would i treat is? I'm really concerned because I just got him and don't want to loose him! Please help.

Keep the temp around 78. He might also be stressed out from the moving around. If u have bloodworms try those. And if possible get a filter but figure out where he spends most of his time and position the filter away from that area. Check out tetra filters. They aren't as powerful as normal filters.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

That is a little on the cool side for a betta. A new heater would be best.

He could be stressed out. My male turns grey when stressed and my females cheeks turn silver when she is stressed.

Are you using any type of additives in the water, like Prime or any other?

A picture of him would help those on here who know columnaris to tell you if that's what he has.

thefish13 is correct in that you need to get him a filter. Try to get a filter that isn't strong or one that you can modify to lessen the output.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok, I will get him a new heater. Do you know of any filters that are very quiet because the tank is in my room. I recently had the tetra 3i but it was super loud. Thanks for all the advice

I have the tetra 3i on a frog tank and absolutely hate it. The air pump got less noisy the longer it ran but it is horrible at filtration. I have the aquaclear 20 on my 6 gallon tank and it does a good job and I never hear it.

Filters are not necessary, but unless you want to do daily water changes its highly advises to have one. Without a filter there is nothing to consume waste to its just sits there and deteriorates causing ammonia quickly.

No filter=no nitrogen cycle. The nitrogen cycle is what takes place in your filter so that waste is safely converted into what's called nitrates. This is then removed during your water changes.

Head over to the getting started section and read the stickies. When you get a filter you will be following the path of fish-in cycling, obviously because you have your fish already.

I would put my money on columnaris. If so, it's very likely he had it before you got him.

Best treatment that I've used to treat columnaris is a mix of Kanaplex(by Seachem) and Furan-2(API) OR I know someone who used Bifuran with success as well.

If you use Furan 2 it does turn the water yellow so don't flip out :)

I'd also recommend a liquid test kit. This is crucial to have through a cycle. Without it, it's like cooking with a blindfold, you don't know if it's done or not. The API Freshwater Master Test Kit is what many here including myself use. You can try to find it online like Amazon for cheaper than retail. It will become your best friend when keeping an aquarium I promise.

If you have any more questions please ask and welcome to AA and the world of fish keeping :D

Caleb

Ok thanks everyone so much! I don't know if i attached the pictures right and sorry that they are a little blurry. I will definitely get a filter and a better heater. Does anyone know if the Azoo Palm filter is quiet? I'm gonna try to nurse my little guy back to health Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 47
Is the spot under his jaw fuzzy? Are there any other white patches?

Are you pre-treating his water before putting him in it?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to help and more information makes it easier to help.

The spot doesn't look fuzzy, it just looks like the color has turned grey. When you say pre-treating you mean conditioning it then yes. I do it with every water change. Thanks

Ok. I'm going to say it probably isn't coulmnaris.

What are you feeding him? You said he's eating well and is active so I'm wondering now if it may be food related.

But I also think he may be stressed out.

When you do water changes, are there big changes in the temperature of the water or do you try to match the temp of the new water to the temp of the tank?

Doesn't look like the cottonmouth I've seen (but only seen it a few times).

If scales look normal, no red centre or on margin, nothing looking eaten away and nothing between scales then could be stress as suggested.

Back
Top Bottom