Betta tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I refuse to have one fish in a tank I have always thought that was the biggest waste of space.

That's the thing about keeping fish. It's not about us, it's about the fish. If you insist on more than one fish in a tank, which I completely understand, then you should focus on species that do not usually need to be kept separate from other fish. Just a thought.....

All that stuff is in this little tank, with two bettas who are trying to survive in 2.5 gallons each (even less when water is displaced with decor). I personally don't feel it's enough room for them to move comfortably and not rip their fins off.
I agree with Lynda here 100%

I refuse to have one fish in a tank I have always thought that was the biggest waste of space.
maybe a bigger tank then? perhaps a 10 gallon divided would give each betta about 5 gallons of space to move around and as long as they can't see each other I think that would be much better. You can get a 10 gallon at walmart for about $10 and you can probably use the same filter and heater you have for your 5 gallon.

I AM NOT GOING TO GET ANOTHER TANK. I ordered the heater today it should be here before the end of the week.

Really they should be fine... It just seems kind of cramped. as long as they stay on their own sides and can't see each other... I would hate for one of them to get hurt.

Photos of my tank

img_1702321_0_990a3a77f34e9e7601d06f0d05db5f09.jpg

img_1702321_1_d2b3441b3969f09bf157833530bed306.jpg

Each in his own half
img_1702321_2_87c5e503a3b88fbcb342ae2902b478a6.jpg

Please remember in Asia this fish live in small puddles and most people keep this fish in small bowls with not filtration.
My fish are sharing a 5 gallon aquarium with filtration and a heater. They are getting feed 2x a day and not staying in dirty water.

Sorry, but that looks really small for those big males. IMO, and maybe its the pic, that is the smallest 5 gallon I have ever seen. I have kept a small female in a tank less than 5g, but not recommended. I definitely agree with Lynda, you shouldn't have gotten solitary fish. Then turn around and put them in the same tank. Take one back unless you want them to live in a somewhat confined space. We are just looking out for the best of the fish.

Bigge_al said:
Each in his own half

Please remember in Asia this fish live in small puddles and most people keep this fish in small bowls with not filtration.
My fish are sharing a 5 gallon aquarium with filtration and a heater. They are getting feed 2x a day and not staying in dirty water.

I actually used to think the same thing until I researched the rice patties that bettas inhabit. They are as big as football fields and hold hundreds of gallons of water.

EDIT: And I used to keep my bettas in the past in those little 2- 3 gallon tanks, I had one of those little round stick on heaters and an undergravel filter, and I changed the water often. I have to tell you, the amount of energy my bettas have now that they are in 5 gallons all to themselves... is amazing. Just my experience.. Good luck with your bettas

I observe my tank for a few days and noticed that the blue Betta would flare up when he came near the divider. I looked at a different angle and realized the fish could see each other so I purchased two pieces of plastic cross stitch material and cut it to the same size as the divider and added it to the existing divider and they no longer flare up at each other when they are close so it has worked. I also added a tunnel to each side and took some live plant from my other tank and add a piece to each side this will do two things I think one add BB and remove nitrates once the rise. The Betta's love the tunnel within 10 seconds of adding it they both swam through it and laid in them.
My ammonia level was up to .25 so I did a 25% PWC

They are very active and beautiful fish.

Received the tank heater yesterday and added it to the tank. Only problem I have was the dial was in C not F so after checking online I found that 26-27 was the seating I needed. I took a few hours double checking with my thermometer and got the temperature at about 80. I noticed a little more activity.

Back
Top Bottom