Bettas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LykeOMGee

Aquarium Advice Regular
I really want bettas and I am planning on getting a new tank just for them. I am thinking about having it fully planted but I have a couple quick questions.
1. What is a good size tank for two bettas?(with a divider)
2. Can I house shrimp with them or do they eat shrimp?
3. What kind of plants do you recommend?

I'm going to get the tank and set it up with plants and get it going before I look at bettas. I've tried having planted tanks before but they didn't work. I'm determined to have a planted tank though!

I really want bettas and I am planning on getting a new tank just for them. I am thinking about having it fully planted but I have a couple quick questions.
1. What is a good size tank for two bettas?(with a divider)
2. Can I house shrimp with them or do they eat shrimp?
3. What kind of plants do you recommend?

I'm going to get the tank and set it up with plants and get it going before I look at bettas. I've tried having planted tanks before but they didn't work. I'm determined to have a planted tank though!

I take it that you are looking at Male Bettas since you mentioned a divided tank. Most will say that an individual Betta should have no less than a 5g tank, so if you're going to do a divider you need a minimum of a 10g. Have you done research about how to divide the tank? IMO, you'll want to make sure the divider is NOT see through as the Males may stayed stressed because they can see the other one which is unhealthy and will attempt and possibly succeed in getting to the other side. My 2 males are in indivivual 10g tanks & then I have 3 females in a community 46g tank. My plants are java ferns, swords, wisteria, annubias, & some fakes thrown in. The shrimp depends entirely on the temperament of your Bettas & how big the shrimp are, they could become lunch for the Betta.

shellieca said:
I take it that you are looking at Male Bettas since you mentioned a divided tank. Most will say that an individual Betta should have no less than a 5g tank, so if you're going to do a divider you need a minimum of a 10g. Have you done research about how to divide the tank? IMO, you'll want to make sure the divider is NOT see through as the Males may stayed stressed because they can see the other one which is unhealthy and will attempt and possibly succeed in getting to the other side. My 2 males are in indivivual 10g tanks & then I have 3 females in a community 46g tank. My plants are java ferns, swords, wisteria, annubias, & some fakes thrown in. The shrimp depends entirely on the temperament of your Bettas & how big the shrimp are, they could become lunch for the Betta.

I was actually considering breeding but still not 100% sure because I'd have to find someone/ a pet store to buy them. But if I do get two I will definitely make sure it's not see through, thanks for the tip. I am hoping to find a cheap or free tank that I can just silicone the divider too, but if I want to breed ill have to be able to take the divider out. Would some type of netting be good for a divider if I have a male and female? I read that you have to keep them separate because he will be aggressive to her. do I even need a divider or will lots of plants she can hide in be good? I've never actually owned a betta but I think they are just beautiful.

And I really want my sisters betta because my sis doesn't know how to take care of hers properly.. I feel so bad for it

These pictures are of my sisters betta in the tiny bowl it's in

Attachments

• image-333280986.jpg
    image-333280986.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 80
  • image-3471074809.jpg
    image-3471074809.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 77
Also are shrimp a good food source for the bettas? If they are I might just buy some and let them breed so the bettas can eat them.

I don't breed Bettas but others on here have, you might post a breeding question under that forum. My understanding is that you have to a "special" set up, 6" of water, special food, etc for breeding purposes. You do NOT want to have the male & female in the same tank without a divider & you would need a separate tank for breeding purposes. Once they breed you have to remove the female, the male tends to the eggs until they hatch & then you have to remove male. I don't feed my Bettas live foods only frozen or pellets so I'm not sure about the shrimp. Personally, I like the females because you can have multiples in one tank, you still have to watch them as you can get a female who is a b**ch. Right now my tank is peaceful because unfortunately my female who was the terror of the tank died a couple weeks ago. I love the Bettas, they're colorful, don't get too huge, are fairly easy to care for and can be quite entertaining.

shellieca said:
I don't breed Bettas but others on here have, you might post a breeding question under that forum. My understanding is that you have to a "special" set up, 6" of water, special food, etc for breeding purposes. You do NOT want to have the male & female in the same tank without a divider & you would need a separate tank for breeding purposes. Once they breed you have to remove the female, the male tends to the eggs until they hatch & then you have to remove male. I don't feed my Bettas live foods only frozen or pellets so I'm not sure about the shrimp. Personally, I like the females because you can have multiples in one tank, you still have to watch them as you can get a female who is a b**ch. Right now my tank is peaceful because unfortunately my female who was the terror of the tank died a couple weeks ago. I love the Bettas, they're colorful, don't get too huge, are fairly easy to care for and can be quite entertaining.

Awesome thank you for the information. My friend has a 5g that she doesn't need/want so she's giving it to me. So I will definitely just have one for now but who knows, maybe one day I will attempt to breed them! The plants you listed earlier are they small plants that would be ok in a 5g? I will still try to have it all live plants. Also I have sand for the tank and was wondering if I will need a certain soil for the plants or will they grow in sand? Thanks

You can have sand and plants, just be careful when planting; some plants like java fern and anubias don't like the rhizome to be buried so you can either attach them to some rocks or plant the roots in the sand but keep the rhizome on top. Those two are good low-light plants (should grow with the light that comes with the tank); water wisteria, water sprite are others. Swords are pretty good in low-light too but if you got some root tabs and put one in the sand near the plant it'll give it some nutrients to grow.

librarygirl said:
You can have sand and plants, just be careful when planting; some plants like java fern and anubias don't like the rhizome to be buried so you can either attach them to some rocks or plant the roots in the sand but keep the rhizome on top. Those two are good low-light plants (should grow with the light that comes with the tank); water wisteria, water sprite are others. Swords are pretty good in low-light too but if you got some root tabs and put one in the sand near the plant it'll give it some nutrients to grow.

Thanks. I'm very excited to Do this! But it will take time and a bit of money, I don't want to rush this tank. Will post pictures as I go.

Back
Top Bottom