Bill's slow going 10g to 55g upgrade.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Billbug68

Aquarium Advice Addict
Alright so I found a 55 on Craigslist(after being flaked on by many others on there) for 25 bucks... It was pretty caked in lime scale. In the process of cleaning it out now. Also the center support is cracked. I found a place online that sells the frames for 13 dollars so I might try to call and order one Monday. Anyways here's some pics of the tank!

image-2290779188.jpg

Man, I can't believe how bad people let stuff get...

Attachments

• image-2908150218.jpg
    image-2908150218.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 67
  • image-1004742556.jpg
    image-1004742556.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 68
Here's some more as I'm cleaning it up. Filled it up outside first with a gallon of vinegar and the rest water. Scraped the thick stuff off and let it soak for a bit. Then I emptied the tank and brought it inside. I turned it on its side and let it soak with pure vinegar for like 45min to an hour and scrubbed it with a scrubbing sponge. Two sides down, two to go!

Attachments

• image-2357722056.jpg
    image-2357722056.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 67
  • image-1135145261.jpg
    image-1135145261.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 65
  • image-1739095039.jpg
    image-1739095039.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 66
Samzter said:
What are you going to stock it with? Looks good ATM!

Well, in my 10g my stock list is...

6 glowlight tetras
3 otos
1 dwarf gourami
1 female betta
4 RCS
1 assassin snail

Don't know yet if I'm gonna transfer everyone over and add some or what... I'm really tempted to try discus or maybe a couple angels. I'm not really sure yet, I've got a lot of work ahead of me before I get this set up. After cleaning with vinegar, scrubbing, soaking, there is still a white haze on the glass... :( I'm gonna try scrubbing with vinegar and baking soda next.

That is incredible how someone can let it get that bad... I would be embarrassed to even sell it.

Ram897 said:
That is incredible how someone can let it get that bad... I would be embarrassed to even sell it.

Yeah, I don't think he really knew what he was doing... From the pic he sent me the water level was really low and I'm almost sure he never did water changes cuz the water looked disgusting. Not sure what he had in there but it looks to be a couple Goldie's... For some reason it won't let me upload anymore pictures... :(

Btw, to fix the attachment problem, go to the AA webpage, click on user cp, and on the menu on the left side click on the words that say attachments. The error message your getting is because you need to delete some of your attachments

Samzter said:
Btw, to fix the attachment problem, go to the AA webpage, click on user cp, and on the menu on the left side click on the words that say attachments. The error message your getting is because you need to delete some of your attachments

Yeah, figured I'd look around on the real page but right now I'm outside on my phone.

looking good! I feel sorry for what I'm sure was a horribly strong vinegar smell that took of your house for a while. blech!

Tam tam, yes the vinegar nearly made me puke a few times while I was scrubbing it, I have a weak gag reflex... Lol,

And yes it was just the tank, I have a nice stand to set it on where my 10g is now but I'm not sure if it can handle the weight... I'll definitely have to sure it up somehow and install different legs.

Billbug68 said:
Tam tam, yes the vinegar nearly made me puke a few times while I was scrubbing it, I have a weak gag reflex... Lol,

And yes it was just the tank, I have a nice stand to set it on where my 10g is now but I'm not sure if it can handle the weight... I'll definitely have to sure it up somehow and install different legs.

Awesome find. Best of luck to you and I will be following.

Thanks! I'm not sure when I'll be able to get it set up(hence the slow going in the title), most funds are going into our wedding right now but after September things should pick up on this build. I want it to be a high tech planted so most of the money will go into the light and co2 setup... I'm open to lighting suggestions now though so I can look around and get an idea! Probably fairly high lighting as I'm extremely tempted to attempt a simple glosso carpet with some driftwood and attached plants... I love those simple carpet tanks with just a natural looking focal point... :D ahhhh anxious!

Well the front glass came fairly clean, but I can't get the rest clear! I'm ready to just use buffing compound... XP anyone else have this problem or know of a fix? I've heard of using some kind of deleted acid? Help help help!

Attachments

• image-4200481256.jpg
    image-4200481256.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 42
It's weird, it's not like a thick build up anymore (believe me I've tried a razor blade...lol) it's like there is just a haze over the glass. The acid is my last attempt before I try buffing it out... I don't know what else to do. I can clean it really well after and I'm resealing the tank anyways so yeah, I have no clue what to do at this point. Oh and I did fill it up halfway to see if it was visible when full, and most of it was... :( bummed that this might be too far gone...

Edit: it's almost as if the glass is etched.

Have you tried calling a glass company? They might have an idea of what to use.

Back
Top Bottom