Tom's 55G Saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sweet which part?

Which was is the easiest to do a transfer. I don't have any way to let the new tank cycle with new rock and new sand plus it's going in the same spot as my current tank is. So I was going to get a big bucket thing and put all the rock in and coral in a seperate container with the fish. Then move the stand and current tank out of the way. Then put the new stand, sump and tank in its spot. Then put the rock where i want it and put the sand in (may need another bag or 2 of sand) then fill it back up with tank water plus new freshly made sw. Place corals back where I want them and make sure all plumbing is correct?

Sounds perfect. I rinsed my new sand really good To remove any die off . That is if your going with live sand. Any sand I would rinse good no cloudy water.

Sweet which part?

Which was is the easiest to do a transfer. I don't have any way to let the new tank cycle with new rock and new sand plus it's going in the same spot as my current tank is. So I was going to get a big bucket thing and put all the rock in and coral in a seperate container with the fish. Then move the stand and current tank out of the way. Then put the new stand, sump and tank in its spot. Then put the rock where i want it and put the sand in (may need another bag or 2 of sand) then fill it back up with tank water plus new freshly made sw. Place corals back where I want them and make sure all plumbing is correct?

Also keep your filter media. :) I've always used new sand to prevent die off issues. I keep everything wet and move as quickly as possible. I also have started dosing with Seachem stability. It's not a fix all but it seems to keep huge spikes from occurring!

I upgraded from a 55 not all that long ago. Did it in less than 24 hours. Rocks and coral went in to totes, fish went in to a QT tank. Put in dry sand and dry rock in the new tank. I also used as much of the old water as I was able to. Remember it went from a 55 to a 120 so lots of new water. This was almost 4 months ago the new tank has not been a problem but I can tell you that you can tell its not a established reef!

I lived in KP just like you Tommy
I just haven't been back in 40+ years
the trick is to get out young or you'll never leave lol:whistle::lol::ROFLMAO::D(y)

your ok tommy
my sister has 2 water beds on 2nd floor most of the houses in the area are built the same
she's over by ashland/primrose area your not far from her
I also kept a 60g in my room when I lived at home just be sure to cover as many joists as you can to distribute weight

I re-sealed the corners just in case. Going to let it cure until next weekend then swap everything over. Also going to put 2 5 gallon buckets i have of rock out and rinse them down so I can add it
To this tank

nice find
I was looking at a 250g bowfront the guy wanted $300. for it
I asked if we could fill it and we did every side bowed out so I made sure to pass I didn't want to risk it burst
some day I'll get a big one but for now I deal with my 37g,40g,30g,20gL

Wow, what a read! I am currently in process of setting up a 55. I have a thread started here I think I titled it 55gal reef. Lots of good info here should help me a ton. I have everything but my RODI (aquasafe should be here any day now), and my lights, thinking on a dimmable 120 from ebay or Taotronics, think only difference is ebay model has white, blue, and like 2 green and 2 red leds, Taotronic is just white and blue. Anyway good luck with transfer!

Lol thanks for taking the time to read. I was a straight up newbie which is why I wanted to start this thread to help others that were in my shoes when I first started. So much info here has been very helpful. I've been in the hobby for just about a year and its been crazy. I am still a newb. Good luck with your build. Ill follow!

Yeah I know where that is! I live off juniper. We moved into my grandparents house in 2005 and it's about 50 years old. My dad is doing work on the house so the family carpenter is coming tomorrow and he's going to check and make sure the tank would be safe up there.

Will start a new build whenever things get settled.

The carpenter bailed today and my dad doesn't think it's a good idea to put the 75 in my room. Don't know what to do. Going to get his opinion whenever he comes by to help my dad with work on the house.

Hey yeah bunch of changes. Tank is on auto pilot right now in a small room temporarily because of construction going on in the house. I got the 75 and had it set up for a little while now. I'll see if there's any pics on my iPad. Tried a handful of sps but they all bleached. Construction should be done by 11/1 so I can go ahead and reset up the tank correctly wherever I decide to put it.

image-3270130036.jpg

image-222256900.jpg

image-2667706318.jpg

image-3403043904.jpg

SPS bleaching. Grrrr. My stylophora has polyps but is nearly white. Not sure what to do to get it colored properly again. Lost a Favia. So I feel you pain in the coral bleaching. I don't know how to stop it when I notice it start.

Back
Top Bottom