Bio Spira Availability Issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh, almost Forgot, I learned much of my Start ups tricks from My father who learned it from a man named Chio from P.R., and a few other friends while growing up, So here's to father and son projects, and the futures the may bring.

I like the post, senorcat, because there are lots of ways to do something and if you have enough tanks running it is so much easier to seed a new tank, and that is the old school way of doing it - tried and true.

I'd like to see you post a thread about your success in the General forum, so others can see your way, and sortof demistify the whole process. :D

Bad news for all of you...

Freshwater Bio Spira is no more.

Marineland has been acquired by an very large corporate conglomerate (would rather not say who it is at this time).

After looking over the product line, many products that are not carried by large pet shops (Petco, PetSmart, Foster & Smith, etc.) are being scrutinized to determine if they have a positive or negative impact on the bottom line.

FW Bio Spira is one of those products. It was not an easy decision, as there is a demand for it. A lot of word of mouth advertising on the Internet helped fuel this demand. However, the current facilities have proven unreliable in order to keep this demand filled.

In order to justify new facilities for a bigger production, the product needs to be carried by the large vendors, and this is something they are unwilling to do.

The other hurdle is that there is too much saturation in the aquarium "market" of "bio" type products that have proven time and time again to not work. This has greatly reinforced the belief that starting a new tank with a full fish load is next to sacrilegious. I know for a fact that employees at PetSmart are trained to tell customers that a tank needs a month to cycle, and any product the customer mentions the employee is trained to respond with something along the lines of "I don't have firsthand experience with it, but in general such products help the cycling process, but don't establish it right away, nothing can."

All of these factors have proven to Marineland's new owners that the product is more of a cost to the bottom line than it is a benefit.

The Saltwater version will still be produced in Marineland's current facilities. Since the demand for it is less, it can be supplied reliably.

That totally sucks if it's true. Especially since Marineland holds patents on all of the techniques to isolate, count, and package the bacteria... this means that no one else but them can sell it, so everyone loses :(

Well...I don't know who Insider spoke with or where he gets his/her info.
But I spoke with my usual contact points in Marineland sales/marketing...those who
are handling the orders, etc.

They say this "rumor" of cancelling Bio-spira is NOT true; and that although Aquaria
Group (Marineland, etal.) was purchased by another conglomerate.......it has nothing to do with the packaging distribution delays in re-issuing Bio-Spira.

They explained, however, that the latest delays puts it at approx Oct 18 for shipping.

Bernie

Insider, would you be willing to divulge your source or give more info?

Welcome to AA, BTW!

Well, Tankgirl....How about if I "up the ante" here:

OK....Since there are so many "skeptics" out there; or feel that I am not keeping them informed.....I'm taking the liberty of posting a quote from my most recent e-mail correspondence with Marineland this aft:

" As I said before there is no way we are suspending Bio-Spira. In fact we are busy mailing out information packets along with an order form right now. "

End of quote.

So, please, folks: "chill" a bit.

Thanks

Bernie-
You have been most generous in keeping us informed about this, and reading through the thread demonstrates that.

Insider has posted only once, here, about Bio-Spira, so I smell a troll. I was hoping to call them out and prove that.

I trust your info, Bernie, you will not steer us wrong!

Hey, TG....no prob!!

If I hear anything to the contrary, I will be sure to post it ASAP!

Thanks for your vote of confidence!

Bernie

Marineland just called confirming their first shipment to me which will go out to me on OCT 12.....I will have it OCT 14......and will start my shipments on MONDAY, OCT 18!!!

FYI:

This first order coming in is at the old pricing; but there is a 5% Price Increase
for future orders.
Half of my first order is sold out already, but I will hold the original pricing thru
OCT 25. After that, I will be passing on the price increase as follows:

1oz (30gal) pkg from $7.99 to $8.39
and
3oz (90gal) pkg from $17.99 to $ 18.89

Didn't mean to make this sound like an ad; but just trying to keep you all informed to pass along. I only post this info on two forums: here and Fishgeeks.

Take care

Bernie

Keeping you all updated on FW Bio-spira:

Latest e-mail from Marineland:

"Hi Bernie,

We are still on track and will start shipping on the 19th of this month.

Take care,

Ch...."

Well.....that means all plans are backed up another week. Since I won't have it
until the 21st. I can't ship until the 25th!!!
Dang!!!.... I have people "eating wallpaper" to get this stuff, too!!! My first 3oz supply is almost completely sold-out!! Will have follow-on supplies coming regularly though, so .......

Take care...
Bernie

So I just emailed Marinelabs, and they gave me a different story for the availability

We are planning to release bio spira again by ThanksGiving Thank You Marineland Customer Service 800-322-1266

Has anyone gotten any shipments in or know if their LFS has it?

I thought some of those other "products" would help and they didn't, so ammonia is rising (it didn't do it at all for the first couple of days so I thought I was fine).

Anyone tried the Fritz Turbostart 700? Many people have positive and negative things to say about both.

TeutonJon 78.....

The reason you are being told later in november is because ...if you are not a
retailer who has already had orders placed with Marineland..... you would have to
"get in line" and then is when it would possibly be available to those retailers.

The shipments going out NOW from Marineland are ONLY to those pre-existing
retailers who have had orders outstanding or previously placed with Marineland.

The later supplies of FW Bio-Spira will also include 5% price increases issued by
Marineland.

FYI...my incoming supply of 3oz FW is already sold out but do have 1oz supplies still left to go. The follow-on 3oz supplies will be coming in about 2 weeks.

Bernie

Does this still need to be a announcment? Now that marineland is shipping the product again finally.

I'd say as soon as you think the Q&A's regarding its re-introduction have ended you can convert it to a regular thread.....its you're call.

Bernie

I am of the opinion that it is still a "sticky" issue - since we can't just traipse into our LFS and pop into the 'fridge for our packets right now, like we used to. Once it is readily available as it used to be, then I think we can put this issue on the back burner. I still have a nail or two to bite over the issue myself, so it is far from "status quo" IMO.

That said, I have fallen rather comfortably back into my "old school" seeding ways, now that it has been off the market for so long, so I might find myself using it for emergencies only in the future.

So, if Marineland is shipping it again to older orders, has ANYONE seen it in their LFS?

Two of the stores around me haven't gotten their yets. One was called by Marineland over 2 weeks ago and told they were shipping but haven't received yet. The guy just kinda laughts when I call to ask. And the other has had an order standing for over 2 months and hasn't gotten any. Granted, I know the whole nation/world is out of stock and they have a lot of orders to filled, but it doesn't seem like anyone has gotten it even though they are "shipping it alread".

Bernie, have you gotten your shipment in yet?

Back
Top Bottom