Bio-Spira or Fishless cycling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Todd2

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is Bio-Spira worth it? It's around $20 for a 3 oz pouch at my LFS. Are people still using it and does it REALLY work? Should I go for the Bio-Spira or Fishless cycling? Basically, I'd rather pay $20 for something that is going to work instantly and easily then do fishless cycling. But I want to hear other peoples opinions. Please post if you used bio-spira and its worked :D !

That depends on what you would have to give up to use it IMO..
I as well have not set up a tank in about 2 years.. and I was not aware of this products performance at the time (its a pretty bold statement IMO) After reading what has been reported here though I would say barring human error BioSpira is nearly 100% effective.. sooo.. If I personally would have to chose between BioSpira and a Canister of New Life Spectrum food... Id go for the NLS and do the fishless cycle (Im patient and like to put my money on what I think is important (nutrition over speed or convince)

call me a cynic, but i don't buy it. i could get enough for my new 29 gal at my lfs for $13 but.... eh... it doesn't make sense to me.

wouldn't the bacteria die off if there was nothing causing ammonia/nitirites for it to eat? how long are you suppposed to wait between adding the stuff and putting in the fish?

Alright I just went to the LFS and bought a 1 oz. pouch for $18.99 (error in price in my first post) I also purchased 6 Black Skirt Tetras and 1 Powder Blue Gourami for my 20g L. I'm probably going to get another tetra and some cories tomrrow. So I'll add 3/4 or half of the Bio-Spira today and the rest tomrrow. Right now all the fish are acclimating in a 5g bucket using the drip method and I have an airstone in there to make sure they get some oxygen :D . The guy at the LFS put them all in one bag :evil: I should've asked for 2 bags put I didn't *bangs head against desk*

Oh NOES! The tetras are betaing up on the gourami, they have him cornered (although theres no corners in a round bucket) I might move him to another bucket.

EDIT: willowthepoet: You're supposed to add the bio spira and fish in at the same time.

Hey this might be a little late since you allready got the bio-spira, but its been about a 50/50 ratio of working to not working for me in freshwater tanks. This last tank I set up after the initail natural cycle went threw I kind of went overboard getting new fish, and the tank went crazy trying to keep up. Bio-spira didnt even touch it doulble dosed, however in a pinch a week later still with nasty water readings tried a bottle of seachem PRIME. Worked overnight, I couldn't believe it. But I will have to agree natural cycle is the best cycle.

Prime isn't the same thing as Bio-Spira. It is actually a dechlorinator, not an additive to assist in the cycle. Do you mean Seachem Stability?

I would go for the Bio-Spira. Instant cycle.

I used the bio-spira after changing my substrate and effectively killing off my bacteria. Worked overnight like a charm. Only thing I've seen mentioned about it is to make sure the LFS keeps it refrigorated and that it's less than 30 days old. After that the bacteria die off and it's next to useless.

Being that I'm a little new to this site and can't figure out how to quote somebody like I've seen This one goes to FISHYFANATIC. You are absolutly right in that Prime is a conditioner and Stability is a cycler, but I did mean Prime. Not only does it remove the chlorine, chloramine and ammonia, but it also claims to detoxify nitrite and nitrate so that the bio filter can remove it quicker. How it does this I do not know I'm not a chemist. But with nitrite and nitrate reading almost off the chart for a couple of days I gave it a try and the next day retested the water and It had come down to acceptable levels, barely any color in the test tubes from my Hagen test kit. It may be a fluke but I'll luck over skill anyday. 8)

im going to be using bio-spira in my 55 ga.. i already have filter media soaking inm y buddys tank to make sure i start off with a decent size bacteria colony.. prolly tomarow or so i will pick it up and put in in the 55.. i've had the tank sitting with sand already settled and crystal clear de-cloronized water for about a week.. cant wait to get it up abd running.. i;ll prolly throw in my dwarf gourami with the bio-spira to make sure i have enough ammonia in the water to prompote bacteria growth.. what do you guys think??

I used Bio-Spira in my 75 gallon tank when I set it up this summer. I seeded the bio-filter media in the HOB filter, and added bio spira when I introduced the fish. There was a very small spike in amonia to .25 which lasted 2 days. Then it was 0. Nitrite spiked to .5 for 2 days going to 0 in about a week. The tank is completely cycled and loaded to about 60% of capacity.

This stuff works. The reason the bacteria don't die is because there is food in the pouch and they are stored cold. One word of caution, do not count on bio spira if it has been warm for more than a few hours. Keep it cool.

I also found it worked best when I put it directly into the filters and let it hit the media and then shoot into the tank.

I will be using Bio for any future tanks, if my wife lets me get any more. Guess 4 is enough for now...

Back
Top Bottom