Bioload/ Live Aquaria/ Cycling 20 Gallon Long

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jakester42

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Im currently cycling a 20 gallon long tank with dr tims ammonium chloride and have been dosing 3ppm. I will start using tetra bacteria (safestart) to aid it. Once I get it cycled I have to buy the fish online all at the same time in order to save money. I plan on stocking the tank with 8-10 cardinal tetras, 10-12 MALE Endlers Live bearers and 8-6 red cherry shrimp/ ghost shrimp (maybe some otos/ghost catfish for the benefits). I know the tetra are sensitive.

If the tetra die how do I have those replaced?
Should i dose more ammonia for that initial bio-load?
Should I use the bacteria?
Is Live Aquaria reliable?
I know my stocking numbers are high, but can I support the otos and how many if i go with the lowest amount of the other fish?

I dont know if this is worth mentioning but I have:
Dwarf hair grass carpet
sword plant
a heater
a EX20 filter
5 WPG 6500k fluorescent light
Nutrafin DIY C02
i dose flourish weekly
Eco-Complete substrate

For a 20 long your stock is ok I think. I would wait a while for the Otos; they are super-sensitive and can be hard to feed. They often prefer algae in the tank rather than manufactured fish foods and generally don't do well with new setups, so I'd wait at least a few months to get those. There's no need to use the Safestart in my opinion. The one thing I would look at is your filter; I would add more filtration if possible. Either add another one or upgrade to an Aquaclear 50 (you can easily move the media from your current filter into the aquaclear). I've never ordered from LiveAquaria so can't help you there, sorry.

That sounds ok except I would only get like 5 male endless it will cause less issues with bioload in the future also add oto or ghost cats about a month after the cycle is done they are very sensitive generally.

I would add the endless first the the shrimp, then tetras then the cats last.

Back
Top Bottom