Biological Bacteria/Media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fijiwigi

Aquarium Advice Addict
I don't know anybody with a cycled tank. I need Beneficial Bacteria to start my 120G tank as well as more filter media. Can somebody tell me what the best stuff to purchase is?

Salt or freshwater? Regardless you need an ammonia source...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Freshwater. I am aware of the ammonia source. Going to use pure ammonia for the cycle. To boost the process I assume they sell Beneficial bacteria that assists in the process. I have two 55g barrels for a sump. Need to know what to purchase locally to use as a filter pad.

You can use lots and lots of these as biological media
cleaning_plastic_mesh_scrubber_manufacturer_plastic_pot.jpg_220x220.jpg
i would probably buy 100 of them or so. They are about $1 for 6 of them. They are plastic pot scrubbers.

Sandwich them inbetween 2 layers of egg crate cut to fit inside the 55g. Kind of like a large filter cartridge sized for a 55g drum. Adding a later of cut to size filter padding after that will help with mechanical filtration.

As for bacteria, dont worry about any addition. It will grow naturally with the addition of ammonia.

When you say "filter pad" what specifically would I purchase and where?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hey Fiji
Your local fish store might be able to provide some seeded media to help jump start.

True...if the OP is still going to cycle fishless is there a chance of any nasties surviving without a host? I'm not well versed on disease.

I would post something in the AA classified section. I believe AA member MrFisher used to sell established Fluval sponges. Might try hitting him up. AngelsPlus sells established media online.

I would post something in the AA classified section. I believe AA member MrFisher used to sell established Fluval sponges. Might try hitting him up. AngelsPlus sells established media online.

Great advice. Thank you

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom