Black Substrate ????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tampa

Aquarium Advice Regular
On all of my tanks I have Pool Filter Sand as a substrate. I'm happy with the PFS since it's easy to clean, looks good, inexpensive ($10 for 50 lbs), and the fish seem to like it.
BUT................ I'm thinking about getting a 30 gallon long (30L x 12W x 16H) and using it mostly for tetras. I'm thinking along the lines of Emporors, Columbian, etc. From my "readings" i'm under the impression that these fish would look better with a dark, possibly black, substrate. I plan on using fake plants and rocks.
I was hoping that I can get some options as to what I can use for the substrate that will look good and not be toooo expensive. The less it costs the better I'll like the tank.
Do you have any suggestions ?

Tahitian moon sand is probably what you're looking for, but I don't know how much it costs.

Also look into 3M colorquartz from your local pool supplier. That's real nice stuff too.

around here the moon sand is $20 for 20 pounds. colorquartz around here is $20 for 50 pounds. if you want to go the way of colorquartz act fast since they are discontinuing it.

If you look at our tank pictures we used black sand in our 40 and 10 and the black color quartz in our 80. Might give you an idea what you want.

you probably wouldn't need more than one bag of the moon sand unless the bases of the fake plants are tall. Just be ready to spend half the day rinsing it... very dusty. I think I paid the same price that mgamer saw locally.

Back
Top Bottom