Bought used 75 now regreting it.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikem691

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi everyone.
Ive been lurking here for a bit and Ill try to be as to the pont as I can.
I got what I thought was a great deal on a complete 75 with out the stand $125. Well after having it set up and running for a while I went and bought the water chenger that hookes to the faucet. Now I was doung changes with buckets so I didnt notice that there was a film or haze on the inside of the glass that wont come out. Its not real bad but because I know its there I am just going to replace the tank with a new one. The way I plan on doing this is to get as many 5 gallon buckets as possible to save as much tank water as possible and to hold the fish untill i can swap the gravel and everything over. So my question is will the tank cycle in any way or will it be fine since im not adding anything new. So the other thing is will disturbing the gravel have any effect on the bacteria. Thanks for any advice you can offer.

How are you filtering the current tank? How long has the current tank been set up?

If you move the filter, substrate and any decorations to the new tank, you will be bringing most of the beneficial bacteria over to the new tank. You might have a bit of a mini-cycle, so keep an eye on your ammonia and nitrite levels after you make the switch.

P.S. Make sure not to let your gravel or anything else dry out as you move it to the new tank

How are you filtering the current tank? How long has the current tank been set up?

If you move the filter, substrate and any decorations to the new tank, you will be bringing most of the beneficial bacteria over to the new tank. You might have a bit of a mini-cycle, so keep an eye on your ammonia and nitrite levels after you make the switch.

P.S. Make sure not to let your gravel or anything else dry out as you move it to the new tank

The tank has been up for about 2 1/2 months. The filters are hob emperor 400 and 280. I plan on moving at least 50% of the water also so basicly a 50% water change at that time.

Since you are moving the filters, gravel and existing stock to an identical tank, I think you should be ok, but I'd test the water frequently for the first few weeks just to make sure the levels don't spike at all.

Moving the tank water will help avoid shocking the fish but I don't think many bacteria actually exist in the water itself - they adhere to surfaces (filter media, decorations, gravel, etc.)

Good luck in making the switch!

Since you are moving the filters, gravel and existing stock to an identical tank, I think you should be ok, but I'd test the water frequently for the first few weeks just to make sure the levels don't spike at all.

Moving the tank water will help avoid shocking the fish but I don't think many bacteria actually exist in the water itself - they adhere to surfaces (filter media, decorations, gravel, etc.)

Good luck in making the switch!

Would once a day be enough for the week? Right now I use a intank ammonia alert just for a quick look and test about twice a week.

Is your tank heavily stocked with fish? I've never used an in tank alert for ammonia (I've seen the Seachem alerts but not tried them) but as long as you are watching for a spike and test periodically that should be ok, unless you have a heavily stocked tank/large bio load that might quickly raise ammonia levels if your bio filter is disrupted.

Is your tank heavily stocked with fish? I've never used an in tank alert for ammonia (I've seen the Seachem alerts but not tried them) but as long as you are watching for a spike and test periodically that should be ok, unless you have a heavily stocked tank/large bio load that might quickly raise ammonia levels if your bio filter is disrupted.

No. Right now there are 4 small angels about the size of a silver dollar 1- 3" pleco and 2- 2" clown loaches. been in the tank for about 30 days no problems. Thank you for helping.
Mike

+1
Very little bacteria exists in the water column. It's in the decor, filter media, plants and gravel.

It's a good idea to keep the existing water purely for pH and temp fluctuations. A steady high pH may not kill the fish, however a quick swing will.

Hi everyone.
Ive been lurking here for a bit and Ill try to be as to the pont as I can.
I got what I thought was a great deal on a complete 75 with out the stand $125. Well after having it set up and running for a while I went and bought the water chenger that hookes to the faucet. Now I was doung changes with buckets so I didnt notice that there was a film or haze on the inside of the glass that wont come out. Its not real bad but because I know its there I am just going to replace the tank with a new one. The way I plan on doing this is to get as many 5 gallon buckets as possible to save as much tank water as possible and to hold the fish untill i can swap the gravel and everything over. So my question is will the tank cycle in any way or will it be fine since im not adding anything new. So the other thing is will disturbing the gravel have any effect on the bacteria. Thanks for any advice you can offer.

You could probably fix this problem with the current tank. Did you clean it before you set it up??? I know lots of people have had success using vinegar to clean tanks, removes all kinds of crazy stuff from the class... really the only thing it doesn't seem to fix is scratches and abrasions. lol.

That said if you can get another tank that's a great option, you can always try to clean this one once it's empty and have yourself a second. :brows:

If you leave your current fish and move everything over to the new tank it will be fine, I doubt you'd even have a mini cycle. Your filter is currently cycled for the bio load your fish produce and switching it over will basically instantly cycle your tank. You can use 50% of the water but really there is very little beneficial bacteria in the water. It mostly takes up camp on objects like rocks, filters/media and in the gravel. I really wouldn't worry about it, maybe test the water a day or 2 after you make the switch but it should be completely fine.

A little update.
Strange thing the haze seems to have just about disapeard. No ryme or reason. Because the tank is up and running i tried a alge scraper and my finger when I did the last PWC now the haze is just about gone. Wondering if there was a bacteria explosion on the glass?? is that even a possibility?? Im wondering because I did not notice it when I picked it up or when I cleaned it and leak checked it. I was assuming i just did not notice (sucks getting old LOL)

Back
Top Bottom