Brown algea?!?!?!?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mashpotatoes74402

Aquarium Advice Freak
My tank has been up and running for 8-ish months 75 gallon. 1 Oscar juvi. And 5 small silver dollars. 2 crayfish.
I have an automatic feeder. So feeding is midly consistent and 2 magnum 350 filters. Filter one has floss and charcoal and filter two is floss and ceramic media. 12/12 photo cycle

Only thing I have have changes is I started hand feeding my Oscar medium size hikari pellets.

I've recently notices some spots of brown algea stuff I first noticed it on the plants by my intakes
The. The back glass (clear) has started TI develop. Some as well. I cut back feeding an kept photo cycle the same. Also added phosphate absorbent fake moss ball. Any advice?

If it looks like a lite brown covering on the "hard" items in the tank and brown spotting on your plants, I believe, those are diatoms. What I've read suggests that it's a normal part of the cycle a tank goes through. I have some of that now, however, people say it'll go as quickly as it came along.

Hopefully someone else will chime in and let us both know exactly what can / should be done.

Apparently they are important for removing carbon particles from the surface water? (filter carbon dust) and they thrive on nitrogen and phosphorus but their most important resource is silica and it's quickly exhausted So I guess it's a naturally kinda healthy thing for a tank

And doing pwc with tap water results in adding more silicates ! But I don't have live plants sonim GOOOOD

Brown algae usually, mean you have too high sulfate. That can happen when you add to much Prime or potassium sulfate. In lakes, brown happen because you have to much dead leaf(same as Tea). But a blue lake turning brown is done by human that are dumping a sulphate bass chemical near or in the lake for a easy profit (like 80% of them).

Back
Top Bottom