Building my first set up!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hehe i like stocking. How about...
2x angelfish
7x lemon tetra
7x rummynose tetra
1-2x GBR
6x cory cats
1x albino bristlenose pleco

Like it?

OK, the more I go over this list the more I like it. I am still not a big fan of Angel fish, though I am finding some that look appealing. What are some options to replace the 2 Angel fish? Also I think I would do 2 GBR for sure, as long as everyone thinks I have the room for them. Those are some beautiful fish.

If I go with this setup, is there any specific order to add them to the tank? I have to assume that adding them all at the same time is a no no, but what is the best order. Also how do I know when I can add the next group of fish? Lastly is there any special decorations I should have to keep all of these fish happy?

Sorry for so many noob questions, I just want to make sure I have a nice tank full of happy fish. I'm open to any and all suggestions!

Also, I should have some pictures of the tank set up today. I ordered decorations which should be here today, which is why I haven't put up pics yet. Nobody wants to see a tank of water :)

Thanks,
Sean

Broke EF said:
OK, the more I go over this list the more I like it. I am still not a big fan of Angel fish, though I am finding some that look appealing. What are some options to replace the 2 Angel fish? Also I think I would do 2 GBR for sure, as long as everyone thinks I have the room for them. Those are some beautiful fish.

If I go with this setup, is there any specific order to add them to the tank? I have to assume that adding them all at the same time is a no no, but what is the best order. Also how do I know when I can add the next group of fish? Lastly is there any special decorations I should have to keep all of these fish happy?

Sorry for so many noob questions, I just want to make sure I have a nice tank full of happy fish. I'm open to any and all suggestions!

Also, I should have some pictures of the tank set up today. I ordered decorations which should be here today, which is why I haven't put up pics yet. Nobody wants to see a tank of water :)

Thanks,
Sean

Drift wood liils great along with alot of plants! And add aggressive fish last

So from I am reading, I should add fish in the following order after letting it cycle (which I started today BTW)

3x lemon tetra
3x rummynose tetra

Let them be for a while (duno how long) then add

4x lemon tetra
4x rummynose tetra

6x cory cats

Again wait for some time, then add

Then after that (duno how long) add the

2x German Blue Rams

Then maybe two more of something a little larger (like the angel fish, or maybe more cichlids of some kind). Does that sound right to everyone? I don't know if I have mentioned it yet, but I have sand for a sub strait, will the cory cats be OK with that?

Thanks guys,
Sean

Broke EF said:
So from I am reading, I should add fish in the following order after letting it cycle (which I started today BTW)

3x lemon tetra
3x rummynose tetra

4x lemon tetra
4x rummynose tetra

6x cory cats

Again wait for some time, then add

Then after that (duno how long) add the

2x German Blue Rams

Then maybe two more of something a little larger (like the angel fish, or maybe more cichlids of some kind). Does that sound right to everyone? I don't know if I have mentioned it yet, but I have sand for a sub strait, will the cory cats be OK with that?

Thanks guys,
Sean

Fishless cycle? I'd add all the Tetras, Corys and BNP at once (one of the purposes / benefits of fishless cycling), then add the GBR's a week or two down the road. You'll obviously want to keep an eye on your parameters for a while...but I can virtually guarantee that there won't be any issues if the tank is cycled at 4ppm. How fast / slow you stock is entirely up to you...but the bacteria will adjust to the number of fish in the tank...so being overly cautious and stocking the tank too slowly defeats one of the main points / benefits of fishless cycling :). It only gets complicated when you're dealing with more semi-aggressive / territorial species. With your plan I don't see any issues at all for adding them. I have heard, however, that a breeding pair of Rams + Corys = a potentially bad situation for the Corys. That's why my Ram is a single guy :D

Yes I am fishless cycling. I was told that carbon filters are a no, no for fishless cycling. I have an Aqueon quiet flow 55/75 filter that hangs off the back. I think it is carbon filter cartridges, so I should just pull them out? Wont it screw it all up when I put them back in? Also doesn't the bacteria build on the filters? I got my API master fresh water test kit. I tested the water last night, and here are the results before doing anything

- Ammonia 0ppm
- Nitrites 0ppm
- Nitrates 0ppm
- pH 7.6 (looked like it may be a little darker though)
- High Range pH around 8.2

My Tap water was more or less the same, just the High Range pH was a touch lower

- Ammonia 0ppm
- Nitrites 0ppm
- Nitrates 0ppm
- pH 7.6 (looked like it may be a little darker though)
- High Range pH around 8

Anyway, after getting my readings yesterday I dosed it with about a teaspoon of ammonia, and it was dead on 4ppm. Now I know that the pH, and High Range pH are a little on the high side, what is my best option? Or are they not as bad as I think?

I got the rest of the decorations in today, Ill have some pics up in a lil bit.

Thanks for the help,
Sean

Here it is!

4-XL.jpg

I let the wife decorate, she went with an ancient ruin theme :) We are going to pick up some cave thing she saw at the LFS tomorrow I guess, which will give some more hiding places for the fish. Anyway, let me know what you think!

Sean

I think you only have to worry about the PH if it gets too low, as really acidic PH has the potential to kill the bacteria. As long as your water is hard enough you should be good to go with the cycle.

Things are moving (slightly), I checked the ammonia and its down!!! So I still have some time to go, but it is great to see things happening. I was looking into stocking, and found AqAdvisor and started mixing and matching. I am thinking this is what I am going to end up with

AquStockImage.php

What do you all think?!

Thanks,
Sean

I was wondering if it was OK to add water during the fishless cycle. My water level is getting pretty low, and the water from the filter is starting to get pretty loud. I know I need to keep the level low to get some oxygen in the water, but as I said over the last couple days it has gotten too low. The reason I am concerned is that I would need to add tap water (unless I buy something from a LFS, and the bottle of prime says it removes ammonia. I know that the chlorine in the tap water will also kill the bacteria that I am trying to grow as well.

I probably could get away with adding 1-2 gallons at the most. If I use tap water to top it off (and this also goes for weekly PWC down the road) how much Prime do I need to add? Do I add the proper amount for the water I am adding, or the amount needed for the entire tank? Also if I am filling the tank with a python, can I / should I add the Prime right to the tank? Would it be better to add it in to the filter so it is a little less direct with the fish?

Thanks in advance,
Sean

Broke EF said:
I was wondering if it was OK to add water during the fishless cycle. My water level is getting pretty low, and the water from the filter is starting to get pretty loud. I know I need to keep the level low to get some oxygen in the water, but as I said over the last couple days it has gotten too low. The reason I am concerned is that I would need to add tap water (unless I buy something from a LFS, and the bottle of prime says it removes ammonia. I know that the chlorine in the tap water will also kill the bacteria that I am trying to grow as well.

I probably could get away with adding 1-2 gallons at the most. If I use tap water to top it off (and this also goes for weekly PWC down the road) how much Prime do I need to add? Do I add the proper amount for the water I am adding, or the amount needed for the entire tank? Also if I am filling the tank with a python, can I / should I add the Prime right to the tank? Would it be better to add it in to the filter so it is a little less direct with the fish?

Thanks in advance,
Sean

You can do top offs or water changes as often as you'd like without harm. Prime doesn't actually remove ammonia, it converts it into a non-toxic form which the beneficial bacteria can still use...so no problems there.

If you're using buckets, add Prime to each one at ~1-2 drops per gallon. If you're using a Python you add the Prime directly to the tank based off the total volume, not just what you're replacing. So if it was a 50 gallon tank you'd add a cap full even if you were only replacing 20% of the water.

Turn off the filter during water changes and add the Prime and new water directly into the tank. You want the Prime to neutralize the chlorine in the water column before it ever has a chance to get sucked up into the filter where the beneficial bacteria is.

Don't worry about the fish. Most of mine enjoy water changes. I worry more about sucking one of them up with the Python than I do about them being stressed out. They'll get used to it and normally play in the water as it's going back into the tank :)

Thanks in advance,
Sean

Nice to see the cycle is starting to progress. Nice tank too!

Yes you can certainly top off water due to evaporation. Just don't add ammonia to it. You do want to add dechlorinator (Prime). I think the dose of Prime is 2 drops per gallon, if that helps any. I usually add a few drops extra just to be safe. This is if you are adding water from buckets.

If you are using a Python and filling directly from the sink, you want to add Prime to the tank before you refill and add enough Prime for the WHOLE volume of the tank, not just the water you are replacing. And then refill.

Adding Prime to the tank itself is best, even when you get fish. The Prime will not harm them at all, so no worries there. If you add it to the filter it may not get into the water in time to detoxify it which could be harmful to the fish.

Good luck with your cycle. :)

Thanks guys, I topped it off and it was much better! Moving on, one thing that is bothering me is my pH level. If I go with the list from post #29 is my tank pH too high, and don't forget it is more or less the same right out of the tap. I hear mixed things on all chemicals for tanks. I would need some kind of pH down of course, what does everyone think about that? OR is it really not that high, and the fish will adapt?

Thanks,
Sean

Thanks guys, I topped it off and it was much better! Moving on, one thing that is bothering me is my pH level. If I go with the list from post #29 is my tank pH too high, and don't forget it is more or less the same right out of the tap. I hear mixed things on all chemicals for tanks. I would need some kind of pH down of course, what does everyone think about that? OR is it really not that high, and the fish will adapt?

Thanks,
Sean

Your PH is fine at 8-8.2. As long as it stays stable the fish will adapt to it. Messing with it can cause problems for the fish as they don't do well with fluctuations. During cycling it's normal for the PH to drop some, so if it does don't worry about it. As long as it stays stable when fish are in the tank it's perfectly fine.

OK, yet another stocking plan! This would need the addition of a second filter, but I think I like it better than the other set up.

AquStockImage.php

What does everyone think?!

Sean

Broke EF said:
OK, yet another stocking plan! This would need the addition of a second filter, but I think I like it better than the other set up.

What does everyone think?!

Sean

I like it, with the second filter this eould look nice!

Thanks! Lets here what some more people think!!! Also last night I had to dose the tank again with ammonia, so things are moving :)

BUT the last couple of days it seemed a little hazy, and today I looked at it and I saw some white stuff on the plants. Any ideas? There has never been anything living in the tank, everything was bought new and rinsed before going in (except the sand). I have only put water, ammonia, and a small pinch of ground up fish food in the tank. I will get some pictures of what I am talking about later.

Sean

I'm personally not a fan of Tiger Barbs...they can be very, very nippy fish and I'd choose tank mates wisely. I'd also be nervous about having 2 GBR's in with Corys. Your tank is big enough that it'd probably be okay...but I've heard of nightmare stories of Rams and Corys...that's why my Ram is solo. They get along okay... but when an algae wafer gets dropped in, my Ram comes flying in all flared up and chases away the Corys. A breeding pair would almost certainly spell doom for the Corys IMO.

Back
Top Bottom