can any of these fish be kept with a black ghost knife?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boojumsnark25

Aquarium Advice Regular
Zebra Danios
Swordtails
Silver Dollars
Platys
Neon Tetras (I'm pretty much certain this is a no)

Any of these big or fast enough the ghost couldn't catch it?

I keep my ghost with corys, bleeding heart tetras, hatchetfish, angels, and a pleco. The only fish I have problems with is the angel but I think the tetras are getting them.

BGKs natural prey in the wild is insect larvae. As long as your tank is big enough that he has his own territory, you shouldn't have aggressiveness problems. Until he gets real big, there should be no problems, and then you might have a few neons disappear. When I was younger, I gave my 8" BGK to my friends who kept him in a 55 gallon guppy only tank and he just kept the fry population under control.

Nik

my ghost doesn't even pay attention to any fish in my tank . Just goes his merry way around plants and hinding in ornaments . At night he will travel around lot but again no problems .

kansei said:
my ghost doesn't even pay attention to any fish in my tank . Just goes his merry way around plants and hinding in ornaments . At night he will travel around lot but again no problems .

Hm...may I ask what fish you have in your tank? Have you ever had any disappear? I've heard that as long as you keep him well fed, a BGK usually won't eat any fish....this reinforces that for me.

You can see in my info that I have a very varied community with big and small fish from cories to a foot long pleco and none have ever bothered or been bothered by the BGK( even a few neons - I worry about the angels with them) . Also I have him feeding bloodworms from my hand now , just before lights out - I feed the angels with a pipet then the BGK from my hand . It took about three weeks to get him to do it .

It would be foolish - don't ask why but there are 9 neons in my tank for a week so far all are OK. Even with 4 Angels and a BGK.

I've been doing a bit of research and reading on BGK's, I'm looking at getting one, once I get my 30gal tank. Wanted to know how compatable he'd be with my other fish. A Black Veil Angel, who is surprisingly docile and likes to snuggle with my Hi Fin pleco, and the red tail shark when they let him and almost will hand feed. The shark is fairly mellow as well, as long as he's left alone while in his favorite spot. Not worried about the BGK messing with them, just wanted to know if they'd mess with him, and if the climate is compatable with BGK's. Also, if so, does anyone know a good supplier in Washington State, Puget Sound area? I'm always wary of shipping live animals...Thanks!

Berserkr said:
I've been doing a bit of research and reading on BGK's, I'm looking at getting one, once I get my 30gal tank. Wanted to know how compatable he'd be with my other fish. A Black Veil Angel, who is surprisingly docile and likes to snuggle with my Hi Fin pleco, and the red tail shark when they let him and almost will hand feed. The shark is fairly mellow as well, as long as he's left alone while in his favorite spot. Not worried about the BGK messing with them, just wanted to know if they'd mess with him, and if the climate is compatable with BGK's. Also, if so, does anyone know a good supplier in Washington State, Puget Sound area? I'm always wary of shipping live animals...Thanks!

Unless you only want to enjoy him for a few months, I wouldn't put him in a 30. I'm pushing it with my 55, but I have larger tanks available for him when he gets bigger...Unless you have a 70-100 gallon tank available, I'd pass on a BGK...

Thanks for that. I really like BGK's after all I've been reading and hearing about them from owners. Maybe I'll go pricing 70gal tanks or so.

Long-term, I think the best bet would be the silver dollars, or if you can, get some red hooks. These species do grow quite big, and wouldn't be viewed as a meal by a BGK. Just don't get them at 1 inch while your BGK is 9 inches or so.

Back
Top Bottom