Can I have a Bristle Nose Pleco in a Fluval Edge?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

electro_cute

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone,

I currently have 2 guppies, 3 sunset tetras, and an assassin snail in my 6 gallon Fluval Edge. I would like to get a Pleco to control any future algae growth and to keep the tank clean. Can my tank handle a Pleco? I heard they can get quite big...

Any info. would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers :)

U need to stock your tank with some kind of snail. Your Assassin snail eats snails.I have 3 assassins I just put in ALOT of mts they Reproduce quickly as to feed my assassins

And wouldn't the assassin kill nerites?

Maybe you should look into otos.

I have just now Googled Otos and they look quite interesting. How many would I need... Would a single one be ok? (Concerned about my stocking as I only have a 6 gallon tank to work with and already have 5 small fish)

I'm guessing I should wait until my tank is fully cycled before adding it?

Thanks for all the help so far.

If your tank is not fully cycled why would you want to add another fish??? If you mean you want it to fully mature I'd wait about two to three months before adding an oto. Be careful...otos are sensitive and keeping one is risky, the like being in groups.

If your tank is not fully cycled why would you want to add another fish??? If you mean you want it to fully mature I'd wait about two to three months before adding an oto. Be careful...otos are sensitive and keeping one is risky, the like being in groups.

I meant fully matured :angel:

I'll follow your recommendation and add them in 2 months or so.

I don't mind getting a couple of them... I'm just concerned I'd be overstocking my tank at that point considering it's only 6 gallons.

i really dont think you should put ottos in a 6 gallon tank. even a ten is pushing it size wise.these guys reach about 2 inches and need groups of at least 3

I agree with the posters on just going with the small snails. They will reproduce fast and keep your Assassin nice and happy while controlling algae.
Again, to reiterate what a few have you probably shouldn't get an oto because they do like to be in groups and grow pretty big. A 6 gallon couldn't really support 1 let alone a group for them.
They are a really sensitive fish as far as water conditions go, and to not have buddies around would probably result in a very stressed oto that likely wouldn't live to long.
I'm no expert by any means, but I too was looking into them and found that snails are better route.
Also, make sure there is visible algae for them to eat otherwise you will have to supplement them with wafers or something of the like.

WELCOME. AA is a great community.

make sure there is visible algae for them to eat otherwise you will have to supplement them with wafers or something of the like.

How many Nerite snails should I buy?

These are the pictures I took today of what I think could be algae... Thoughts? :confused:

img_1468502_0_358512d2d8cd049fefbadcb93d8ef427.jpg

img_1468502_1_66a3ad42e2fd042174ffbc8e9fea0763.jpg

Hmm, I wouldn't get any other snails considering your assassin might eat them... ^Agreed that nerites need brakish water to breed...

But have you ever thought about shrimp? In my opinion, shrimp are perfect for an Edge! They also eat algae and leftover food that hits the bottom. :)

Hmm, I wouldn't get any other snails considering your assassin might eat them... ^Agreed that nerites need brakish water to breed...

But have you ever thought about shrimp? In my opinion, shrimp are perfect for an Edge! They also eat algae and leftover food that hits the bottom. :)

I'm not fixated on the idea of getting either Otos or snails... I just need something to combat the algae issue. IF shrimps can do that and they are small enough to live in my tank then that's what I'll use :)

Yes, I think shrimp are perfect for your tank. Especially amano shrimp as they are known to be one of the best algae eating shrimp out there, but I'm sure almost any dwarf shrimp (ghost, cherry, red crystal) will get the job done.

If you need something just to get rid of algae I suggest a MagFloat. It's easy, super cheap and available at almost all pet stores. The best thing to get rid of algae is to find the source of the problem, which could be overfeeding, bad water quality, etc. Getting something to eat the algae only extends the problem.

I also vote for Amanos and against Otos. I have 3 Amanos and they do a fantastic job not only with algae but also cleaning the substrate of any food which may make it's way down there. The only issue I have with them is that they're little thieves when it comes to pellets I add for my Corys. As soon as I drop them in, you see the shrimp come flying out, grabbing one and dashing back to the DW. :)

IMO Otos should be kept in groups since they are very social and interact with each other. They are also much more active than I think people realize and when they're not eating...they zip around the tank with a speed that rivals my Danios. I truly believe an Edge wouldn't be remotely enough room for them to enjoy a suitable environment.

Back
Top Bottom