Bristle nose pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hisqueen90

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all apologies if I've posted into wrong forum. New to this site.

So we have a bristle nose pleck brought a few weeks ago. recently been in a 35 litres tank but during this time we purchased a bigger tank. Had it running for a week or so now transfer him into the bigger tank. Currently on his own as we are due to get fish today for the bigger tank.

Turning the light on this morning I thourt he was dead. He was belly up floating around the filter then in a panic when I went to fetch the better half came back in and he had gone was swimming and sucking around the tank as normal.

I guess. I'm only panicking because the tank is newly set up has been running for the recommend days pet shops advice to.
He can't be hungry as he's got algey wafers still at bottom. Of the tank although not sure what pet shop had fed him he seems like at first he didn't know what to do with them.

I'll stop blabbering now
I guess what I'm asking is should I be concerned he's still doing the usually and sucking the bottom of tank and so on. Yesterday wen I transfers him into tank a few times he'd go to top of tank like he was taking air but hasn't done that since. When I googled it it said he may have been stressed. But has been fine since other than being belly up at top of tank this morning..

I'm not used to keeping plecos so this is new to me. And although he's new to the household we kinda adore him. He's only small so noway can the new tank be to small for him considering ones he was kept in in the shop. New ones is 65 litres and he has plenty of hiding spaces. Not sure if he is missing the older tank.

Any advice would be great please

Is your new tank cycled? What are the water parameters? Does he have driftwood to chew on?
Plecos don't have scales so they are sensitive to changes.

The new tank does have driftwood which he is hiding underneath it at presesent. And yes it is cycled x

Hello, plecos are bottom dwellers the only time they go to top of tanks is if they're grazing on something. If water parameters are good it may be constipation. Is there algae in tank for him to graze on? Are you just feeding dry foods? Sounds like it might be constipation. I usually put a piece of raw cucumber in tank about 2-3x a week. Sometimes I feed pieces of boiled pea w/shell removed. If he doesn't recognize cucumber as food embed a couple shrimp pellets or pieces of algae wafer in it. Hope this helps!!!!!
The new tank does have driftwood which he is hiding underneath it at presesent. And yes it is cycled x
20190731_210602.jpg20190401_190633.jpg

Back
Top Bottom