Changed from fish less to fish in cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chykityta

Aquarium Advice Freak
This is my very first fish tank. I already know the preferred way of completing the nitrogen cycle is by going fish less so please be impartial about commenting on my decision.

The change came because I started fish less cycling for three weeks and even after two PWCs, my ammonia was fluctuating but to the increasing side. On top of getting nowhere, I was also doing nothing. This is a 10 gallon GloFish fish tank kit.

So before going fish in, my parameters were: ammonia 3, nitrites 0, nitrates 0, and PH 8.4. I performed a 50% PWC and the ammonia dropped drastically to the safe zone (according to the mayor LFS chain close by). So I got a school of Bloodfin Tetras. I will call this PWC as night zero.

I read that a fish in cycle takes much more responsibility and I can handle being all over the tank instead of stearing at it empty. Ok, so re-researching began and now using Ammonia Alert while I get the API master test kit because of running out of the test strips.

It has been 3 nights since fish in cycle
> 10% PWC night one, ammonia 0.05 and PH 8.4. I tested with the 6-in-1 strips and see no change.
> 10% PWC night two, ammonia 0.05 and PH 7.8. I tested with the 6-in-1 strips and see a mini coloration for nitrates.
> 50% PWC tonight (night three), ammonia 0.02-0.05 and PH 6.6. I didn't use the test strips tonight.

My PH has been dropping every night since fish in. Is this good? I am using API Tap Water as PWC Conditioner and Dr. Tim's Aquatics First Defense every couple of days. I also adde SafeStart with night zero's PWC.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm not to sure why the Ph would drip like that. I know that ammonia will drop with the Ph but I'm not sure if that works the other way as well.
~Zac

Hummm and it is even lower after the 50% PWC so that is what let me to write this thread.

What is the Ph of tap compared to tank.. Ammonia and Ph affect each other and ate hand in hand

Yes, because acidic water can't carry as much ammonia, this is normal. See if it continues to do the same in the future

A lower Ph can not hold as much ammonia as a higher ph. So when you are cycling and the ammonia goes up, so does the ph. As the bacteria grows the ammonia levels go back down as well as the ph

1- Right now, are 10% daily PWCs enough or should I do higher?

2- With your last comment, do you mean that I may be close to the second stage of the Nitrogen Cycle? If yes, then what should I get ready for? Am I still ok with 10% water changes daily or should I change my schedule for the second stage?

My two questions above still stand unanswered. Meanwhile, I wanted to give an update for this morning and tank parameters: ammonia 0.02 to 0.05 (very light green). PH is still 6.6 so no more dropping in 10 hours.

1- Right now, are 10% daily PWCs enough or should I do higher?

2- With your last comment, do you mean that I may be close to the second stage of the Nitrogen Cycle? If yes, then what should I get ready for? Am I still ok with 10% water changes daily or should I change my schedule for the second stage?

I would do more like 30-50% water changes, and how big is the blood fin school? And yes kinda, It means that as your pH is lowering then the ammonia is going down, which means the bacteria is starting to grow, but that is only the first of two colonies of bacteria, the second is the colony that turns the nitrite to nitrate.

Ok, that answers question 1 and the first part of my second question. Once nitrites start sky rocketing, should I continue with 30-50% PWC daily, or increase the percentage, or decrease the percentage? I will assume this is still daily.

Yes this is daily, and you keep doing the changes until your nitrates are the only ones that are >5ppm

Ok... Thank you... I will keep doing those higher PWC and keep giving updates here as well as adding questions as they come.

hello hope you enjoy your aquarium I also just started a 10 gal... I did fish in cycle im on week 5 and im just about cycled just keep doing the PWC and you will be fine it takes awhile for the bacteria to grow but once it does it grows pretty quick.. :brows:

7 Bloodfins in a 10g ?
I would not have chosen Bloodfins. They get 2.5" and are active swimmers. I recommend at least a 20 Long to 30g as a minimum.

LA is selling a color variety, but care is same http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+890+3183&pcatid=3183

For 10g using common fish ? I'd do 6 Glowlights or Neons. Glowlights are hardier.

I put Nano fish in mine. Celestial Pearl Danios ( CPDs ) are my fav.

You'll have to do a lot of water changing, throwing seven fish in at once to an uncycled tank.

Add some live plants, as they will help give the fish hiding places and help keep the water stable. You may want to rethink your stock.

Do not add any more fish until you get a handle on the Ammonia. Poor fish ?

This was my 10g
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424893195.979945.jpg

Hello Coursair,
Thank you for your input. I did not and do not plan on adding more fish for now and after the cycle completes, maybe only a Honey Gourami. As I mentioned on my previous post(s), I am ok with doing many large PWCs. I do already have a couple of live plants and plan on adding more foreground plants. In addition, the hiding places are there.

I asked for unbiased comments as I already know the PREFERRED method in recent years but please remember that fish-in cycle is the standard for non-hobbyist. I don't intend to offend you and hope this doesn't prevent you from providing useful tips to users like me who go with the fish-in cycle. Thanks again and will provide a parameters' update once I get home.

Yes i lost a few fish like 4 or 5 but i overstocked at the start and i wasnt doing enough partial water changes... i have 5 neon tetras 2 mickey mouse platys 3 zebra danios 3 guppys n a small pleco... im still a lil overstocked but i change 50 percent of the water every 2 or 3 days depending on the tests :D

Back
Top Bottom