Clear wispy stuff on heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maxkolbe

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I Am cycling my new 60 gallon aquarium and I just noticed that there is this clear stuff on the heater suction cups that wasn't there before. It was almost like a gel so it wasn't plastic wrap from some of the equipment. To cycle the tank I first put in some filter media from another tank. Then I raised the temp to 82 (I brought it down because I thought that might be causing it) lastly I've been adding 1 or 2 pinches of crumbled flake food every day so that there would be ammonia in the water. For oxygen I use a powerhead that moves 750 gallons per hour.

The filter is a marineland penguin 350. The heater is 250 watts and the power head is a koralia 2800/750. We have had to turn everything off at night for a few days because of the noise so the temperature would drop during that time.

From what I've heard these are ideal conditions for BB so could I be looking at a colony? Or am I seeing some kind of parasite like Hydra? What is it, Is it dangerous, and what should I do about it?

Please reply quickly because I am planning on introducing fish in the near future.

A picture would certainly help if you have one?

I remember having a similar substance when I first set up my tank. It looked like someone had sneezed in my tank. Turned out to be harmless and has disappeared now. Now I think about it, it's disappearance coincided with me adding 2 platy. These pretty much eat anything all day! Remind me of myself :p

I was going to post a photo but I have a bad camera so you probably could't even see it. Do you think that if my water chemistry looks OK it would be safe to add a couple of mbunas? You relating it to mucus was kind of funny because when I took some out of the water to examine it that's exactly what it was like.

Just had an idea, do you think that it could be the stuff i prime that helps the slime coat. With no fish in the tank there could be a possibility that it formed a mucus-like coat on the heater as a reaction to the extra heat.
(does that sound stupid?)

Could be a result of the prime. Most probably it's bacteria of some description. Probably harmless, but check your parameters to be safe before adding fish.

Thanks for the help. I have a test kit coming in the mail so I'll be sure to check before adding any fish.

I have the same thing on my suction cups and have had it for weeks now. I believe it's just a bacteria of some sort. My parameters are great and haven't changed because of it. I would not worry about it one bit :)

Back
Top Bottom