Clown Loaches... Need Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bowsNrams

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My husband and I really like the way clown loaches look and wanted to add some to our 60 gallon tank but I was reading someone's wesite last night and it says that they should be kept in at least a 75 gallon tank and that they can get up to a foot long. (She had pictures and they really did look like small dogs! They were huge!) And that petStores may sell them as small tank mates but they are actually not small they just have their growth stunted in smaller tanks, that it is cruel to buy them if you can not properly house them. Is this true? I really wanted to get some but won't if I can't give them the home they really need! Please help!

You won't stunt them in a 60g if you make plans to upgrade to a larger tank. Clowns are extremely slow growers, about an inch a year. I've had one for about 4 years and it is almost to the 5" mark. It was kept in a 30g tall (my co-worker had it) for the first year, 30g long for the last 3 and will spend quite a few more years in my 75g, with a 150g as the future forever home.

Well, I guess if he can stay in a 60g for a few years I can probably persuade my husband to upgrade to a larger tank... within the next few years. I told him I wanted a bigger one the other day and he just laughed at me! (We just got our 60g in February! He thinks I need to join Fishaholics Anonymous!)

Well, I guess if he can stay in a 60g for a few years I can probably persuade my husband to upgrade to a larger tank... within the next few years. I told him I wanted a bigger one the other day and he just laughed at me! (We just got our 60g in February! He thinks I need to join Fishaholics Anonymous!)
sounds like we should be firends! haha my kids laugh at me because I have such a large tank (90 gallon) i love it!
another thought is to get the polka dot loaches. love theses little guys! they stay smaller and are absolutely wonderful! they have many names so you have to know them all to be able to find them.
burmese border botia
angelicus botia
polka dot
there might be more, not sure - but they are the same guys. I have a thread somewhere about my polka dots with a pic and you can google some images too. they are great. also consider the zebra loaches

but they are actually not small they just have their growth stunted in smaller tanks, that it is cruel to buy them if you can not properly house them. Is this true?

It's always a good idea to do your species research PRIOR to purchase. Don't buy any species unless you can house it in the tank size it will need as an adult. It's just easier for you and healthier for the fish.

i have 3 clowns and i love them but i also have 22 tanks so i have plenty of room to spred them around. they love playing with my cichlids.

It's always a good idea to do your species research PRIOR to purchase. Don't buy any species unless you can house it in the tank size it will need as an adult. It's just easier for you and healthier for the fish.

I agree, I was just thinking about how I hate that pet stores sell loaches, plecos, bala sharks etc. without informing or caring if people can take care of their needs.

a 60 gallon is large enough to keep clown loaches for a few years.

A great combo is clown loaches AND tiger barbs!

they school together ;);)

I suggest 6-8 tiger barbs, 4-6 loaches, and maybe a Blue Gourami for a centerpiece

Back
Top Bottom