Considering fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

e_tothe_lijah

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've got a 55 gallon that I just bought and haven't started my fishless cycle yet, but looking ahead, what are some fish that will be compatible with ghost shrimp (4 or 5) I think those are the little ones, and the snails that roam the sides? Anything wrong with having these two together, or any forseeable problems?

What fish made you want the tank? You won't get anywhere asking other people what they like.

I'm very open to fish. I like the shrimp, but just want something compatible.

If you like shrimp then you should plan the tank around them. That means you need to stick to very small, peaceful fish that will not bother the shrimp. Most likely you will want to try some of the fancier shrimp like cherry, bumblebee, red crystal, etc. As far as fish go my top choice would be galaxy rasboras (aka celestial pearl danios). They stay small, maxing out at 1". They are very peaceful, love planted tanks just like shrimp do, and will even breed for you. A large school of them would look spectacular. Other microrasboras would be ideal as well.

As Fishguy said you have a lot of options for a 55. I'm wondering if he misread the post though and thought you have 5 gals and not 55. :) Although I know nothing about shrimp so maybe he's right. You certainly could do nano fish in 55 gal, but you'd also be open to many more options I think. I'm not a stocking expert by any means so I'm not able to help recommend much off-hand but I'm sure others will chime in. You could also do a Google Search for stocking 55 gal and see what others come up with.

P.S. If you haven't seen it the fishless cycle guide link is in my signature (new empty tank); it'll be a big help!

Back
Top Bottom