cory cat substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yuanyichi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
is this gravel to sharp for small cories?

Attachments

• 1417476208079.jpg
    1417476208079.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 79
I have about the same grade gravel, that was a mistake. If I were you, I would get sand because they love to half bury themselves in it to look for food. Get sand my friend. I am changing soon too

alright but how would i change the gravel if i have fish in right now...sorry im a newbie :/

Sent from my LG-D415 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Scoop it out with a big fish net. Make sure you support the net when removing it from the water.

You can pre wash the sand so that when you are ready to make the switch, all you have to do is put the fish in a bucket, drain the tank, add the sand, fill it up and then put the fish back in. Sounds like a lot of work, but it's not that bad. Most of your time an energy will be spent washing sand. If it's not cleaned well enough it can cause cloudy water so once you think it's clean, give it one more wash.

another vote for sand.
i have a dozen of corys and they sure do love digging. and i sure love watching them dig :) its quite a view seeing entire herd lining up and combing through the sand spitting it out of their gills, stopping on occasion to chew on something tasty they found.

prewash playsand (home depot) or pool filter sand in a bucket. then again and again. helps doing smaller batches at a time. when you scoop it out and put in tank your water will get quite cloudy - it is not a problem. things will settle down within a day or two. you might observe bubbling first couple of weeks as trapped air escapes, that is quite ok too.

but beware, vacuuming substrate is very different with sand (i have planted tanks so i don't bother vacuuming to much)

You could always go bare bottom but I recommend painting the outside of bottom so fish dont get light from underneath which can stress them..

in your current situation, it would be best to do what has been advised already. or depending on how thick your gravel layer is, you could clean the sand, drain the tank, and the sand over the gravel and mix it in so the gravel is sporadic and the substrate is mostly sand on top

Bottom dwellers don't like bare bottom tanks.

Sand will never stay on top of gravel. It will drive all the gravel to the surface over time.

Bottom dwellers don't like bare bottom tanks.

All that rooting around is not just in their personality. .contrary to popular belief;) they're actually foraging for microorganisms or food.. they would totally stress out in a bare bottom tank. .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

i have an internal filter so i dont think sand would work so i decided not to get the cories :(

but i thought they needed the sand to forage for food

I have had 12 panda cory catfish for almost a year now on Eco complete substrate and they are very happy.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

would a pitbullpleco work for a 20 g

I dont have any knowledge on this, but ising basic knowledge, u could probably scoop out some of the rocks from the top layer, take the decorations out, remove the fish, and pour a top layer of sand, let it cycle for a couple more days and let it settle, then add decor. And fish.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Aquarium Advice Mobile App

where would i put the fish thi

i dont have anothr tank

Oh uhm..... maybe a couple buckets with an air pump and heater, it should probably take about a week or two.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Aquarium Advice Mobile App

Yuanyichi do you have an under gravel filter?

Placing sand ontop of rock will not work because the sand will work its way down through the rock, and you will be left with rock on top.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

no i have an internl filter that hangs on the side into the tank..a tetra whisper 40 i think

Back
Top Bottom