cory catfish for 10g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bettafanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm going to set up a ten gallon tank soon. I'll be having six neon tetras, three cory catfish, and a betta fish.

what kind of corydoras catfish should i buy? I want one that'll stay very small, well the smallest I can get really, since it's such a small tank.

any suggestions?

Dwarf cory is probably the only cory you could get (Corydoras Hastatus); at least 4 in a group is recommended.

You could do Neons however they are very active fish and a 10 gal may be too restraining for them to swim the way they would prefer. Just my opinion though. A better choice would be a school of nano fish like ember tetra, chili rasbora, or celestial pearl danio. Endler's Livebearer's are another option as well.

I'd also watch the Betta for aggression, particularly if you get Neons as they are active fish and my agitate the Betta. Be ready to remove the Betta if need be. Hope this helps. :)

Also is this your first tank? If so read up on cycling the tank PRIOR to getting fish. The link in my signature: new empty tank will guide you through.

Librarygirl, I know about cycling and have the ammonia to do it. I'm also currently cycling a couple of 2.5 gallon tanks for my other bettas.

I am prepared to remove the betta if he is too agressive with the other fish. I already have him and he's quite calm and docile. He doesn't even flare at the betta next to him, so I think he will be fine but I'm keeping his little tank just in case.

I'll get the dwarf cory catfish then. Thanks!

The pygmys sort of hover above the ground rather than being total bottom dwellers like the habrosus and hastatus.

Now I'm really confused. I just want a cory that'll keep the gravel clean and stay as small as possible, preferably under two inches. Will pygmy cories do that?

Gravel vacs keep the substrate clean. If you don't want them because you like them, don't get them. Sounds to me like you're wanting them for the wrong reason.

I agree with mdfrookie. Corys do not really kep the gravel clean. They eat fallen food of course, but they also poop it back out so keeping them to keep the gravel clean is counter-productive IMO. But, all 3 of the pygmy varieties we listed do eat on the bottom and each reach about an inch or so.

Oh. I thought they were cleaner fish. Well, I would still like some anyways. They're really nice fish. I'll get pygmy cories.

I would go with habrosus. Hastatus and pygmaeus both shoal mid tank, so I don't think they are the bottom dwellers you are looking for. They are also very skittish and may not even shoal around at all with larger fish in the tank. IME hastatus is the easiest to come by in the shops, but I would really would avoid them with a betta. I would order habrosus if you have to.
Whatever you go with, get atleast 6, and if you order them, I'd recommend getting a couple extras in case you have losses.

IMO 2.5 is not a suitable home for a betta and I hope you will consider keeping them in 5 gals or more. :)

hastatus are pretty hard to find compared to pygmies. If I had to choose I'd go with habrosus, pygmies don't really act like corys at all, they are fidgety and hover alot.
Oh I just saw this. Interesting, hastatus are the only ones I've seen in shops. I've had to order my others.

Back
Top Bottom