Could a knowledgeable hobbyist spot check me?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoobernarf

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I'm new to the forum and the fishworld. I would just like someone to spot check me and make sure I'm not making any big mistakes as a beginner. I made a similar post on the intro forum, sorry for the redundancy.

My 2 month adventure:

10 gal
Tetra PF10 Filter
One Air Stone

August - interest began

Late August - bought starter aquarium, was advised by Pet Store to run it for 3 days so it would be safe for fish

Late August + 3 days - Added Oranda Goldfish

+7 days - Goldfish died, began researching fin rot, lethargy in fish, discovered the nitrogen cycle

Gave up on raising fish, removed my Oranda's body and left the aquarium running for 2 months with no fish

+2 months - I had to move and drained the tank except for about half an inch of water in the subtrate

+2 months and days later - Set up my new tank with 3 Zebra Dianos based on advise from an older biologist

Today: Got API test kits and read .25 ppm Ammonia, no nitrite, 5 ppm nitrate

Tentative Future: I plan to add 2 more Zebrafish Danios when the tank is cycled and 1 to 3 platyfish, and a very simple plant but only after I learn more and listen to advice.

The zebras and the platies are a much better choice than the goldfish for a 10 gallon tank. Zebra danios are a popular choice for cycling a tank because they can withstand elevated ammonia and nitrite levels. However, in the best interest of the fish I would recommend a 50% water change whenever you notice the ammonia or nitrite levels have reached 0.25. More water changes will keep the fish healthy, but it will also slow down your cycle.

I would think that most of your bacteria that might have been in the original tank would have died in the 2 months the tank was empty of fish. So you are almost cycling a completely new tank. Zebra danios are not a good choice for a 10 gallon, so whoever told you that is not someone trustworthy. Unless, of course, you plan to get rid of them after it's cycled. The plant idea is good, but that requires more research so make sure you do that. I would recommend rehoming the zebra danios after cycling or rehoming them now and doing a fishless cycle. Read these to learn about fishless cycling:
Tips and Tricks For Your Fastest Fishless Cycle! - Aquarium Advice
The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling - Aquarium Advice

Once the tank is cycled, one appropriate choice for stocking is a small school of nano fish, for example:
12 chili rasboras
12 celestial pearl danios
12 ember tetras
1 betta and 6-8 ember tetras/chili rasboras/celestial pearl danios
and you could add some type of shrimp to one of these too!

Welcome to Aquarium Advice! :welcome:

Fishperson is right about the zebra danios. They are fast swimmers and need longer tanks. There are plenty of options for stocking a 10 gallon once you're cycled. I like the suggestions that Fishperson has given you. Take a look at their profiles and see what you think. If you can not find any of them locally, let us know what you have available at your local shops and we can help you choose from those options.

Neons would be a good schooler choice. Especially because what was mentioned above are hard to find. They're all beautiful though.

Honey gouramis and dwarf cories would also work.

Zebras are fine for a 10g tank, as a matter of fact great. Neons are also cool. Platys are good, and if you buy one pregnant (which u prob will) you can raise the fry and watch them grow up. But you should definitely do weekly water changes of 50% while cycling.

I would use a larger tank for zebra danio they swim fast and alot and could use more room and need at least 7 they nip t my fancy male guppies so I have to keep them with my female guppy

Zebras are fine for a 10g tank, as a matter of fact great. Neons are also cool. Platys are good, and if you buy one pregnant (which u prob will) you can raise the fry and watch them grow up. But you should definitely do weekly water changes of 50% while cycling.

I strongly disagree. I wouldn't do anything under a 20L.

Sillyfishes ment 20g.
Zebra danios are not suitable for the long term in a 10 gallon. Zebs need room, theyre very active and wont be able to stretch their fins without hitting glass.

Sillyfishes ment 20g.
Zebra danios are not suitable for the long term in a 10 gallon. Zebs need room, theyre very active and wont be able to stretch their fins without hitting glass.

I was referring to the 20 longs. Thank you for clarifying for everyone.

Back a couple years ago in my newbie days, I had some zebra danios. They are by far the most active fish I've ever had

Back
Top Bottom