Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-16-2004, 08:04 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to Kornchild Send a message via MSN to Kornchild Send a message via Yahoo to Kornchild
Cycle questions

I am looking at setting up 2 new tanks a 45 gallon and a 20 gallon, I currently have a 10 gallon tank that has been going for 3 years. Problem is it has no fish, all it has is african clawed frogs which are extremely messy I may add. My question is, can I use some water and some rub the filters on the new tanks to help speed up the cycle process also what type of ETA would I be looking at before I could fully stock the two new tanks.....

Old 06-16-2004, 09:19 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would not use the water but you can soak the new filter in the established tank for two weeks then put into your new tanks. At the same time I would add some starter fish like Danios to help cycle. Then test the water daily for ammonia & nitrite to see when the spike are over with. Then you can start adding the fish you want to keep slowly, 2-3 a week depending on size.

Old 06-16-2004, 10:14 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to deli_conker
I just posted about a fishless cycle I did. You may want to take a look at it...

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=26312
Old 06-16-2004, 12:32 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

[center:03c7573dbe] Welcome to AA, Kornchild! [/center:03c7573dbe]

I don't recommend using "starter fish" to cycle a tank with because if you do not want the fish in the long run, what are you going to do with them? Either use media from an established tank and ammonia, or start from nothing with just ammonia. Using established media, your tanks could be cycled in days (my only concern is your using a small filter to start to larger tanks--there may not be enough bacteria for everything). Starting from nothing will take 6-8 weeks.

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 10:21 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I take my starter fish back to the LFS.

Tags
cycle

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com