Cycled?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zuzkots

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I'm about 2 months into my fish in cycle. I've been doing very frequent water changes and testing water every day/every other day. Ammonia finally settled at 0-0.25ppm last week, then nitrites went up with nitrates at 0ppm, 2 days later nitrites 0ppm and nitrites 5ppm, today amm 0.25ppm, nitrites 0ppm, nitrates 0-0.5ppm. Am I right in saying the tank is cycled now? Or should the nitrates stay at a higher lever?

So I'm about 2 months into my fish in cycle. I've been doing very frequent water changes and testing water every day/every other day. Ammonia finally settled at 0-0.25ppm last week, then nitrites went up with nitrates at 0ppm, 2 days later nitrites 0ppm and nitrites 5ppm, today amm 0.25ppm, nitrites 0ppm, nitrates 0-0.5ppm. Am I right in saying the tank is cycled now? Or should the nitrates stay at a higher lever?

With 0 nitrates I would be a bit cautious when declaring the tank cycled, however it does sound like you are getting close.

With 0 nitrates I would be a bit cautious when declaring the tank cycled, however it does sound like you are getting close.

Oww I read wrong sorry. Read it again the 5 nitrite reading thats posted I miss read as nitrates. I keep all my tanks low nitrates.
Nice catch.
Looks close after reading over again. Should balance out soon.

Oops sorry, that was supposed to say "nitrites 0ppm and nitrAtes 5ppm", then the nitrates went down to 0-0.5ppm (more yellow than orange on the api testing chart). So are nitrates supposed to stay up for a tank to be cycled?

Nitrates indicate that the ammonia is being converted to nitrites then to the final product, nitrates. Then these nitrates are removed with water changes, and it sounds to me like your cycled or getting very close to being done with your cycle.

Cycled readings are 0 ammonia & nitrItes, <20 nitrAtes. Once you have those readings for a week I'd say your cycled! Then just do weekly water changes & test periodically to make sure things stay as they should.

Back
Top Bottom