Cycleing a 10G

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

h8z2luze

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok well i took the goldfish back haha. What do I need to cycle this tank? The guy sold me stresszyme and said it will help with the cycle process and tried to get me to use fish to cycle it but I would rather not... I already added the stresszyme and the goldfish had produced waste for the last 24 hours...

You can either put a small pinch of food in every day or a small peice of uncooked shrimp. I am not sure of the size for the small tank. If you already have an established tank I would take the filter for the 10G and run it on the established tank for a couple weeks and then move it to the 10G and you are good to go usually.

I dont... the 10g is the only one running at the moment. I sent my girl to the store for some fresh shrimp haha.

I put in a medium sized prawn hope thats ok... I guess we will find out.

When the cycle is over, but I would keep adding some fish food every day to every other after you take it out, so the bacteria don't run out of ammonia.

Get a couple 25 cent comets and just feed the heck out of them and let the ammonia rise to about 8 ppm before you change out any water. The tank will cycle fairly quickly, just dont get heartbroken if the fish end up dying. Giant danios are also great break in fish, very hardy and can take a beating.

^^^ very true, my 52g spiked at 8.0( test only goes to 8, was not in cycle, had decaying plants I put off cleaning up) on ammonia, I lost all my neons, all my shrimp and a 2-3 guppies. ALl my other fish survived including angels( minus 1 I put her down thought it was septecemia again).

I always jsut fill my tanks, add the dechlor PRIME stuff, turn the heater on and turn the filters (seeded) on and add fish usually by the end of 48 hours with no remorse and no new tank deaths.

During time of tanks having no fish I do a pinch of food a day or 2ml by syringe when its frozen foods I am feeding the tanks. its just enough to keep the tank perfectly balanced.

No, the shrimp is plenty in a small tank i wouldn't use. I would do a pench of food everyday. Yes goldfish flakes work.

Confusing reply... lol

I just reread that and that is a confusing reply. I apologize. I meant to say there is no need for more if you have a shrimp in the tank. IMO a shrimp is too much for a small tank like a 10g. I think if you put some fish food in everyday that would be enough for a 10g. And yes, goldfish flakes work.

Really thats up too you. There are many ways to produce the ammonia needed. You could use food, you could do the shrimp. People have diffrent ways on starting a tank off with whats needed. So it is really up too you, all approaches work. The thing is that the shrimp method sometimes tends to make a smell that stinks, especially on a small 10g i imagine that there would definatly be a stink. So just to be safe i would use the food method do to the small ecosystem and the chance of a smell. The shrimp method usually works better on a big tank because it causes a bigger bioload and there is a less chance of a smell. So end the end it dosent matter because it will do the same thing either way. I prefer the food method on the 10g though.

well its almost day 5 of the cycle... Been adding flakes daily. Anything else I should do at this point? Oh I dont have a test kit yet. Hopefully friday.

Back
Top Bottom