cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

minky123

Aquarium Advice Regular
So my bro has got a new tank. I told him about cycling and which ways you cam do it. He has chosen to do fish in. It's a 55g and has a marinelabd emperor 440. I gave him some used filter pads that were from my established 30 and gravel from my tank. So in the filter there are media trays and I put the gravel in the trays, is this ok?? He is also doing daily 50% pwc. About how long do you guys think it will take to cycle with the used media. There are 3 silver dollars in the tank now.

minky123 said:
So my bro has got a new tank. I told him about cycling and which ways you cam do it. He has chosen to do fish in. It's a 55g and has a marinelabd emperor 440. I gave him some used filter pads that were from my established 30 and gravel from my tank. So in the filter there are media trays and I put the gravel in the trays, is this ok?? He is also doing daily 50% pwc. About how long do you guys think it will take to cycle with the used media. There are 3 silver dollars in the tank now.

Hi,

You don't really need to put the gravel in the filter. It can stay in the tank.

Depending on how big of a bioload you have and you water change schedule and if you read your params correctly, it could take anywhere from a week to two months. The seeded media will help. I don't know how much of a bioload silver dollars have, but I do know that they can't fit in a 55 gallon tank, sorry to be the bearer of bad news :(

Good luck though to your and your brother! :)

Reactions: jlk
With your established media in his filter & only 3 fish, its highly possible he will never see a spike of ammonia or nitrite. Good job on educating your brother!!! Just make sure he stocks very slowly and stays on top of testing. Water changes if theres a spike in ammonia or nitrite to keep them under .25ppm. Otherwise, things look good! :)

Thanks both of you I appreciate it. Is there anything else he could do ttp make the cycle go along faster or is that all I could really do

More establishd media is the only way to speed cycling up. Do not put your tank into a cycle by donating all of yours though! Patience is a key word in cycling. :)

minky123 said:
Hahaha I will!! Another question, can silver dollars really not fit in a 55?

We have silver dollars in a 36 gal. They have lived for 6 years! Still going strong.

Ok well I tested my bros water this weekend. Sunday morning it read
Ph 7.6
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10
I tested again at night and it read the same thing. I beloved the tank is fully cycled. Should he test again later tonight or can he add more fish now

Just a suggestion here, but perhaps you consider posting a stocking thread for what (if any) other types of fish would work in your brothers tank. I would wait atleast a week before considering adding any more fish to be sure that the amm/nitrite stay steadily at zero. :)

Back
Top Bottom