Cycling 20 Gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ned

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just have a really silly question (but quick) about cycling a new 20 gallon tank.

Would there be any benefit or use of using one of those tiny little cartridge filter that have the foam media and carbon from a 2.5 gallon guppy tank I have on my desk at work for cycling my newer 20 gallon at home.

Sorry about the silly question, but I was just curious.

Thank you

Ned

Welcome to AA Ned! And no question is a silly question. :D

It could help jump start the cycle, but it wouldn't provide enough bacteria to stock the tank immediately. Have you read the article on fishless cycling using pure ammonia? By using the cartridge from your guppy tank and the pure ammonia, that will definately help.

Does that help or just cause more confusion? :)

First off I would like to thank you for your welcome and response to my question.

I have read several articles on fishless cycling and have NO intentions of stocking this tank until a full cycle is completed. I just filled it up this morning and plan on using the addition of ammonia but wondered if there would be any benefit, even a slight one by using that dinky little cartridge filter.

If there was any benefit would I drop it to the bottom of the tank, dangle on a string or what would you suggest.

Once again thank you

Ned

I have read several articles on fishless cycling and have NO intentions of stocking this tank until a full cycle is completed.
That is music to my ears. :D

Could you fit the cartridge into your the filter of the 20 gal? Perhaps behind the cartridges and pad?

Hey it fit in there perfectly....

Thats why I thought I would ask.....your the best

Ned

Can I ask another silly question about the cycle.

I have to do a water change on my 2.5 gallon guppy tank at the office. Would there be any benefit to adding the water I remove from the guppy tank on the water change to the new 20 gallon tank as one more addition to the ammonia, filter cartridge, and time.

This being said (asked I guess) I know the health condition and status of the water in my guppy tank and know all is safe.

well in my experiance in the subject is that its not really the bacteria in the water columbs its in the gravel, because it mainly stations on the filter media or the gravel, i heard plants mmight, help too

The water won't be worth it to add to the tank. It would be more of a hassle to haul it than it would be beneficial. Water holds only a slight amount of bacteria (if any) and wouldn't contribute to the cycle. And that's not a silly question, it's asked more than you think. :D

Back
Top Bottom