Cycling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elder_4413

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i can't tell if my tank is cycling or not because i've been trying to make it cycle for weeks now and its just not working. Is it even necessary?

here are my tank stats:

pH 7.0
Ammonia 3.0 ppm
Nitrites 0.0 ppm
Nitrates 0.0 ppm

Last edited:
What did you do to it so that it cycles? Add a couple fish? Throw some food in there? Use old filter media?

Chris
Sent from my iPhone
???

i can't tell if my tank is cycling or not because i've been trying to make it cycle for weeks now and its just not working. Is it even necessary?

here are my tank stats:

pH 7.0
Ammonia 3.0 ppm
Nitrites 0.0 ppm
Nitrates 0.0 ppm

You can make chocolate milk and it will instantly cycle, get a bucket of tank water, use your friends or your own and clean sponges, filter pads and such in that bucket if water, the more the better....tank all that gross water (chocolate milk) and dump it in your tank

Chris
Sent from my iPhone
???

about 4 weeks i use top fin bacteria supplement i dont know if thats causing it not to cycle

Hmmm that long? Did the fish die? Not one bit of nitrite yet? That's weird, do u have any dirty filter media? Get some from a friend if not and throw it right in the tank or your filter

Chris
Sent from my iPhone
???

Should be cycling by now, just give it more time, bound to see your nitrite spike soon

Chris
Sent from my iPhone
???

If you don't have fish in your tank I would turn the heater up to 80. It will help beneficial bacteria grow faster.

It sounds like you added bacteria but did not provide them with food. Put a few flakes of fish food in the tank and give it a few days. If you can get some cycled filter media to add to your filter that will help as well. If you don't know anyone with filter media you could try your LFS. They would probably be happy to give you some of their gunky filter media.

Back
Top Bottom