cycling and nitrate issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
what about tempreture of water
wouldnt cold water reduce temp too much
i did try rigging up a hose to my shower facility
at one point getting temp very close to existing tank temp but
rubber hose heated up too much expanded caused a leek and i was moping up gallons before i realised what had happened:p

mine is pretty thick tubing, i run hot water (as hot as my heater will go) through mine all the time to either rinse it out from the previous tank, or to hose down the shower walls or clean out a bucket. I guess with a thin wall hose, that could happen

i can not connect to my hot supply thats why i chose to try the cold feed on shower which heats as it runs
my hot water is so discoloured
dont know exactly why only any good for washing up dishes
it comes out tap clear but once its heated it is white cloudy like it had soap blended into it
the hot supply comes from a combination gas boiler obviously its same water supply as cold but cold dont go threw boiler
but once it goes threw boiler system it is unclear in colour like a bacteria cloud
i need to get a length of industrial hosing which will be able to handle the heat and try the shower again

dont worry about the white coloration from the hot water, they're all like that. i had the same question, it's apparently micro bubbles from being heated or something like that... mine's the same way :)

so does it clear up after a certain amount of time
i guess i should fill a bucket of cold water
and add the cloudy white from hot supply to see if it clears as it hits the cold water as temp drops this would be same result as going into tank i guess
thanks for that info
i now need to go and try out my theory:p

well that worked fine filled bucket with cold then ran hot supply it came through cloudy but went clear as it hit the colder water

next question
so i could get a twin faucet connector to single feed so hot and cold run into python or hose which would enable me to control the temp that was coming out the end and enable me to get it as close as possible to tank temp ?

i think i'm off to shops tommorow
i'm done with this bucket carrying lifting etc
thanks again mfdrookie516 you have been a great help as usual

i'm sure you could get some sort of adapter to connect hot and cold together, but it is much simpler to get an adapter to go from a sink faucet (or shower) that already has the hot and cold mixed together, and either have a python type siphon setup, or just rig up a standard garden hose type adapter that you can attach your tubing to.

You can add cold water straight from the tap. The temperatue drop is usually not too great. Depends on how much you change and how sensitive the fish are to temperature changes. Remeber that in nature the water temperature varies with the season too, a temp drop with pwc sometimes stimultates fish into breeding. They get tricked into thinking that it is the rainy season.

Back
Top Bottom