Cycling for the first time - or should I wait?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScottVinVA

Aquarium Advice Activist
NO3 = 18
NO2 = 0
GH = 75
KH = 40
pH = 7.8

My new tank currently is at these numbers - per my:
Jungle - 5 tests in one strip - quick dip (purple label).

Can anyone tell me how I go about cycling without fish?

Or is using fish easier?

I will do a search but I was hoping someone could tell me if these conditions are ok to start with. I setup the used filter that came with the tank until my Fluval 304 comes.

Thanks

One more question,

Can I start my cycle with the current filter that is a HOB? My Fluval wont be in until later next week. Or should I just wait and do it when the Fluval is operational?

Another question - Is it ok to put plants in now, or should I wait until the cycle finishes? I would think now is better so the cycle works with the current conditions and better to do it after adding everything u want -fish.

I'm nowhere near an expert, but my opinions are as follows:

1) I've only cycled with fish, and have had minimal losses (1 out of 10 maybe). But I use goldfish.

2) You can start the cycle with your current filter, HOWEVER, when you get your new one, you may crash the cycle if you remove it and replace with your new one. I would suggest two things.
A) Wait for your new filter
B) Start now and when you get your new filter, keep the old one in for a while and let the new one catch up with the old one.

3) It is ok to put live plants in now. I'm not the expert on this, but I would hold off. Some (if not most) live aquatic plants will use the Ammonia and Nitrites and Nitrates as their food, thus potentially starving the bacteria, and possibly crashing the cycle.

I would wait for a second opinion before you run out and do anything I mentioned. I'm confident on most of it, but we'll see.

Ok, first weird thing I see is 18ppm of Nitrate in an uncycled tank. test your tap water for nitrates.

Wait for teh fluval.
Fishless cycling is easier than cycling with fish because you NEVER have to worry about the health of the fish used to cycle with...because there are no fish.
If you cycle with fish, you'll spend 2-4 weeks doing daily 50% water changes to keep the fish from dying due to toxic levels of ammonia and nitrite.

You can put the plants in right away. I hope you have enough light for the plants you selected though. If not, they'll die and rot. You won't have a problem with plants stalling your cycle though.

sdveirs said:
NO3 = 18
NO2 = 0
GH = 75
KH = 40
pH = 7.8

My new tank currently is at these numbers - per my:
Jungle - 5 tests in one strip - quick dip (purple label).

Can anyone tell me how I go about cycling without fish?

Or is using fish easier?
Thanks

I have those same strips and I have no idea where you came to such exact numbers with them :roll: Anyway, I went through almost the same process as it sounds like you are. I used the crap filter that the tank came with until my 304 came and then put it on. No deaths. The main trick was from day one until 7 days after I put in the 304 I added SeaChem Stability to the tank. Instant cycle! Any other way is just wasting time, IMO.

Back
Top Bottom