Cycling help with 5.5 gal tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RyzzleT

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys, just hoping you all could help me out. 13 days ago I started fishless cycling my new 5.5 gal tank.

I used a calculator to dose ammonia up to 4 ppm (using 0.83 mL ammonia) using pure ammonia from Ace. It is in fact pure and contains no surfactants. I have been testing ammonia levels regularly and have not seen it drop yet. However, I got curious today and decided to test for nitrites and nitrates. For nitrites, I got a reading of near 10 ppm, and for nitrates, I got between 30-40 ppm. Its a little hard to tell because I'm currently waiting for my liquid kit to come in, so I'm stuck using the strips. After seeing this, I then liquid tested for ammonia and still got 4ish ppm.

I don't really understand how this is possible lol. Any idea what could have happened or what I should do?

Hi RyzzleT:

If those numbers are accurate then it sure sounds like your cycle is getting established. That was quick!

When you get your reagent kit you might want to test all three again to be sure you have accurate numbers. If you do, then keep testing until ammonia and nitrite zero out in under 24 hours; when they do, you're ready for a large water change and some fish.

-Yorg

Hey guys, just hoping you all could help me out. 13 days ago I started fishless cycling my new 5.5 gal tank.

I used a calculator to dose ammonia up to 4 ppm (using 0.83 mL ammonia) using pure ammonia from Ace. It is in fact pure and contains no surfactants. I have been testing ammonia levels regularly and have not seen it drop yet. However, I got curious today and decided to test for nitrites and nitrates. For nitrites, I got a reading of near 10 ppm, and for nitrates, I got between 30-40 ppm. Its a little hard to tell because I'm currently waiting for my liquid kit to come in, so I'm stuck using the strips. After seeing this, I then liquid tested for ammonia and still got 4ish ppm.

I don't really understand how this is possible lol. Any idea what could have happened or what I should do?

Awesome. I got home today and the ammonia is now reading 0.25 ppm, with the nitrites and nitrates practically off the charts. I just completed a 50 percent pwc to help get those numbers down to measurable levels. I'm also gonna redose the ammonia to 4 ppm.

When I tested the pH after all of this though, the pH is now reading 8+. Are these fluctuations normal while cycling? Because my tap water is near neutral pH.

Thanks for your help.

Hi RyzzleT:

Yes, your ph will fluctuate during the cycle and stabilize when the cycle is done.

-Yorg

Awesome. I got home today and the ammonia is now reading 0.25 ppm, with the nitrites and nitrates practically off the charts. I just completed a 50 percent pwc to help get those numbers down to measurable levels. I'm also gonna redose the ammonia to 4 ppm.

When I tested the pH after all of this though, the pH is now reading 8+. Are these fluctuations normal while cycling? Because my tap water is near neutral pH.

Thanks for your help.

Got my liquid kit the other day. Ammonia is dropping pretty fast but nitrites are still off the charts, even after a 50% pwc. Turns out the strips were wrong, and there are no nitrates in the water. I'm gettin' there! Thanks for the help

Back
Top Bottom