Cycling off to a slow start?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

5x5

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I started my cycling process about 7 days ago (with fish) and have been doing 50% PWC almost every day and testing with the API kit. At no point have I seen higher than .25ppm Ammonia in the tank and no sign of nitrites yet.

Is this normal or am I off to a slow start? How much longer until I can expect to see a nitrite reading?

Really wishing I went fishless at this point, but couldn't find the right ammonia. :(

When I cycled with fish a month ago doing the same as you, changing water everyday, I never saw NitrItes ever. I did have at least 5 plants in the tank at the time. My NitrAtes showed up 19 days later.

5x5 said:
I started my cycling process about 7 days ago (with fish) and have been doing 50% PWC almost every day and testing with the API kit. At no point have I seen higher than .25ppm Ammonia in the tank and no sign of nitrites yet.

Is this normal or am I off to a slow start? How much longer until I can expect to see a nitrite reading?

Really wishing I went fishless at this point, but couldn't find the right ammonia. :(

There's no need to do pwc everyday. And dose ur ammonia up to 4ppm! Do pwc when it water parameters are off the charts to prevent stalling!

Hubert,

I assume you think I am doing fishless cycling, but in fact I have 6 little fish in the tank for the cycling process. I'm pretty sure your suggestion would result in me having 6 less fish by the end of the day. Am I missing something?

5x5 said:
Hubert,

I assume you think I am doing fishless cycling, but in fact I have 6 little fish in the tank for the cycling process. I'm pretty sure your suggestion would result in me having 6 less fish by the end of the day. Am I missing something?

Hahaah oops ya I was assuming u were goin for fishless cycle! On that note! Keep up with what u are doin and u will be fine! Just watch out for nitrite spikes towards the end of cycle!

It could be a long while with fish. I had fish for a month and did 1-2x daily pwc to keep the ammo under 0.25, i never saw nitrates or nitrites. after a month all my fish died overnight regardless of my efforts, although hopefully you'll have better luck! I'm going fishless now with pure ammo and it's been almost 3 weeks and still no nitrites or nitrates lol so yeah it's a slow process, get used to the testing and pwc. good luck

Back
Top Bottom