Cycling Problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phenomenal_snow

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi!

I started cycling my first tank about a month ago and I am very confused! The tank has no fish in but does have a few live plants.

I first dosed the tank up using ammonia to around 5ppm, after about 2-3 weeks my tests were showing high ammonia, nitrites and nitrates! This was the first thing that I didn't understand, so I did a water change of around 40% to get the numbers down a bit and try to see what was going on (I wondered if I was reading my test kit wrong and I had overdosed on ammonia).

It's now been about 2 weeks since the water change and ammonia is still not dropping. Also, nitrites and nitrates seem to be nonexistent. Originally I left the ammonia at the level it was after the water change, then a few days ago I added a couple more drops of ammonia.

Not sure what other information is useful so ask away. PH has stayed at a constant 7. Heater is turned up and filter is on. Using Nutrafin Mini Master Test Kit.

Any help appreciated!

EDIT: Did some more tests after writing this post but before submitting it! Ammonia is still not dropping, still no nitrites but nitrates are very visible. What is going on!? Is the tank cycled? And if so why is the ammonia not disappearing?

What is your ammonia at right now?

Too much ammonia will cause your cycle to stall.

Can you take a pic of the tube with the color chart?

I also find the nutrafin ammonia kit harder to read.

Can you take a pic of the tube with the color chart?

I also find the nutrafin ammonia kit harder to read.

Absolutely, give me 20 mins or so. I had been considering picking up an API ammonia kit, they seem to be preferred by most.

Absolutely, give me 20 mins or so. I had been considering picking up an API ammonia kit, they seem to be preferred by most.
There is no real nirvana when it comes to test kits. I tend to use the API master kit over the Nutrafin mini-master for a few reasons.
1 - It is cheaper
2 - The tubes are flat on the bottom so you don't need a special holder for them.
3 - I find the ammonia test easier to read
4 - I find the wide range pH test kit included with the nutrafin mini-master very hard to read

That being said, I probably wouldn't switch until you have used the other up. The difference isn't really *that* huge.

X3KLQLu.jpg

That looks about 4.9 to me but I usually under read that test which means it may be higher.

You really need to match the hue of the color as opposed to the intensity if that makes any sense.

5ppm, should not be problematic as far as stalling the cycle goes.

I would do a 50% water change just in case it really is higher than we think. I can't guarantee it will help but it also won't hurt.

As for your nitrates, are the nitrates in your tank higher than your tap water?

I'll wait until Saturday and then try doing a water change. After the change, should I just leave the ammonia at whatever level it ends up at?

Yes, nitrates don't show up in tap water but a considerable amount are in the tank water.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'll wait until Saturday and then try doing a water change. After the change, should I just leave the ammonia at whatever level it ends up at?
Yes, just leave it alone after that until it starts dropping.

Yes, nitrates don't show up in tap water but a considerable amount are in the tank water.
How much is a considerable amount?

I've got to head out for half an hour or so, but I'll post a picture of my nitrate reading later?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom