Cycling question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iuman1979

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I called my LFS and they told me not to do any water changes during the cycling period, but that I could add water when there has been evaporation. Is this a good idea? I know they do it that way there and they raise fresh and salt water fish. To lower the toxic ammonia or neutralize it could I use something like ammo-lock?

I would not use ammo-lock, because that will make the ammonia unavailable to the bacteria you are trying to grow, and it will stall your cycle.

I disagree that you don't do water changes, for exactly the reason you suggest - the ammonia gets toxic to the fish, not to mention nitrite. I would do water changes to keep these levels down and protect the health of the fish in the tank. I know there are lots of fish that endure cycles without a single water change, but it is very hard on them, IMO, and is an undue stress that can cause problems with their health later if they survive it.

The tank WILL cycle eventually, so might as well keep the fish comfortable.

Good luck!

How often and how much of the water do you recommend I change during cycling. I have a 5 gallon tank w/ 4 fish. And a HOB power filter.

With your tank load, you need to test for ammonia and nitrites every other day. When the levels are high, do the water change. 20 % or 1 gal is a good amount. Small tanks change quickly so are more critical than large tanks. I try not to use any chemicals unless absolutely necessary.

Back
Top Bottom