Cycling tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ddiienno

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've had my new 30 gal up and running for about 9 days now I moved the filter media from my old tank to the new one and have been hitting it with QuickStart. I don't show any ammonia or nitrites ph is 7 and my nitrates are about 10. I don't want to jump the gun and put the fish in too soon and then have to do daily water changes until it's fully cycled. How long should I wait?

From my personal experience, you shouldn't be doing any water changes until you have seen the ammonia spike then nitrite then once it's nitrate then start the water changes. That's eh way I have always done it. Quick start is just chemicals. I use frozen cocktail shrimp from store.

Fish are people too!!!

So I should just get some cocktail shrimp and put it in the tank to get it going?

I recently finished a fishless cycle on a 6 gallon betta tank, using seeded media from my main tank and some seachem stability to help it along.

Still took 14 days. Much better than 6 weeks of course. But throughout I saw the fall of ammonia from my starting doses, the rise of nitrites, the rise of nitrates and then the final cycle when ammo and nitrites fell to zero within 24 hours of ammonia dosing.

If you tested daily you should have seen something. If its already cycled, you will have zeros within 24 hours of dosing ammonia. Its an easy test to check.

Your Tank

I've had my new 30 gal up and running for about 9 days now I moved the filter media from my old tank to the new one and have been hitting it with QuickStart. I don't show any ammonia or nitrites ph is 7 and my nitrates are about 10. I don't want to jump the gun and put the fish in too soon and then have to do daily water changes until it's fully cycled. How long should I wait?

Hello dd...

If you moved all the filter media from an established tank the same size or larger than this 30 gallon, the new tank cycles instantly. If you just moved a part of the media, then you can still have fish in the new tank. Just add them slowly, so the good bacteria can keep up with wastes the fish produce. You should test the tank water every few days to make sure the chemistry is stable. If you have a trace of ammonia or nitrite, then remove half the tank water and replace it with pure treated tap water. You'll need to change this amount of water weekly once the tank is fully stocked to maintain safe water conditions.

B

Back
Top Bottom