Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-07-2014, 10:21 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Cycling tank

I've had my new 30 gal up and running for about 9 days now I moved the filter media from my old tank to the new one and have been hitting it with QuickStart. I don't show any ammonia or nitrites ph is 7 and my nitrates are about 10. I don't want to jump the gun and put the fish in too soon and then have to do daily water changes until it's fully cycled. How long should I wait?

Old 07-07-2014, 10:44 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

From my personal experience, you shouldn't be doing any water changes until you have seen the ammonia spike then nitrite then once it's nitrate then start the water changes. That's eh way I have always done it. Quick start is just chemicals. I use frozen cocktail shrimp from store.

Fish are people too!!!

Old 07-07-2014, 10:59 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

So I should just get some cocktail shrimp and put it in the tank to get it going?
Old 07-08-2014, 12:43 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

That is what I would do. That way you aren't adding unnecessary chemicals to the water.

Fish are people too!!!
Old 07-08-2014, 12:44 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404794618.833658.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	170.8 KB
ID:	242481

Here is my tank currently cycling

Fish are people too!!!
Old 07-08-2014, 02:13 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

I recently finished a fishless cycle on a 6 gallon betta tank, using seeded media from my main tank and some seachem stability to help it along.

Still took 14 days. Much better than 6 weeks of course. But throughout I saw the fall of ammonia from my starting doses, the rise of nitrites, the rise of nitrates and then the final cycle when ammo and nitrites fell to zero within 24 hours of ammonia dosing.

If you tested daily you should have seen something. If its already cycled, you will have zeros within 24 hours of dosing ammonia. Its an easy test to check.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:54 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Your Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddiienno View Post
I've had my new 30 gal up and running for about 9 days now I moved the filter media from my old tank to the new one and have been hitting it with QuickStart. I don't show any ammonia or nitrites ph is 7 and my nitrates are about 10. I don't want to jump the gun and put the fish in too soon and then have to do daily water changes until it's fully cycled. How long should I wait?
Hello dd...

If you moved all the filter media from an established tank the same size or larger than this 30 gallon, the new tank cycles instantly. If you just moved a part of the media, then you can still have fish in the new tank. Just add them slowly, so the good bacteria can keep up with wastes the fish produce. You should test the tank water every few days to make sure the chemistry is stable. If you have a trace of ammonia or nitrite, then remove half the tank water and replace it with pure treated tap water. You'll need to change this amount of water weekly once the tank is fully stocked to maintain safe water conditions.

B
Old 07-08-2014, 08:47 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks guys!

Tags
cycling, cycling tank, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com