Cycling with RO/DI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Abemas

Aquarium Advice Regular
I should be starting to cycle a tank in the next few days and I'm planning on using RO/DI water. Any additional steps I should to take/avoid because of the type of water used? I'm thinking I may need to seed the tank with some bacteria from another tank. Any advice?

I'm pretty sure that RODI is not recommend for FW tanks. RO maybe, but even that will need to be balanced somewhat before being used.

Aha! I guess I should have done some reading before I asked that question. From what I can tell RO is fine to use for FW but I'll have to add some dissolvable solids back to the water after the fact. Am I on the right track?

Why are you using RO/DI, or even RO? Unless you're stocking very sensitive fish like discus, there's really no need for anything other than tap water and a good dechlor like prime.

Why are you using RO/DI, or even RO? Unless you're stocking very sensitive fish like discus, there's really no need for anything other than tap water and a good dechlor like prime.

Well I haven't used anything yet technically as I'm just planning at this point yet =). I guess I assumed RO would simply be better than using tap as it allows me to start from a clean slate. We already have a unit for drinking water so I figured why not. Will it really be more work going RO than tap?

I learned the hard way as well, coming from SW to FW I thought water should be perfect as well. What I have done is to take my RO/DI unit and rather than save the RO/DI water I collect the waste water and treat it with prime. As a result of this my plants are growing like mad. I know it seems like a bit of a waste but to grow plants in a FW system you need all those elements and nutrients.

It's working well for me.

Interesting approach Ziggy. Have you measured the nitrates in the waste water? Sounds like a good way to concentrate the good stuff for plants.

Interesting approach Ziggy. Have you measured the nitrates in the waste water? Sounds like a good way to concentrate the good stuff for plants.

I have not measured nitrates in the tank. Being a FW planted system I'm not that concerned with the nitrate levels. I can say that my little 10g tank has had so much growth that I have to remove plants so the fish can swim.

Well I haven't used anything yet technically as I'm just planning at this point yet =). I guess I assumed RO would simply be better than using tap as it allows me to start from a clean slate. We already have a unit for drinking water so I figured why not. Will it really be more work going RO than tap?

I would test the tap water & see what it is like before going the RO route. Pure RO needs to be reconstituted with buffers (& ferts & traces if you are growing plants) before use, and that needs to be consistent with each pwc, so it is more work & also more chance of errors. Unless your tap water is really screwy, using plain tap is the way to go.

Back
Top Bottom