Daughter wants more fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deepwater

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Caity's tank is a 10 gallon with filteration for a 15. 30% water changes weekly. Currently the tank contains 1 very laid back male betta. 2 kuhli loaches and a otto. She wants another otto and some zebra danios. I'm concerned about to much of a good thing. Will this be too big a load?

Sounds like you could do it as long as you keep up with the water changes.
Maybe 2 zebras and 2 more otos?

Zebra danios are schooling fish and prefer to be kept in groups of 6 or more (which you wouldn't really have room for), and they are also very active swimmers and would do better in a larger tank. Also, I'm not sure about this, but they may nip a betta's fins. I guess I wouldn't really recommend them for your current setup.

I agree with severum mama. I also have concerns about the betta with the danio. Danios are fast-swimming fish and they may harrass a slow-moving fish like a betta. And also as mentioned, danios need to be in groups, which would definitely overstock your tank. So, I would forget about the danios, but you could get another oto. Otos like to be in groups also, but if you got one more, the one you have won't be lonely. Any more fish than that, and I think it would be overstocked.

How about another kuhli along with the new oto(s)? Both will appreciate the company, and the kuhli won't dent the bioload too much.

some neon tetra's would be pretty, i know they like to be in schools, but sometimes schooling fish are happy in 3's.

Back
Top Bottom