do I need to change the water if the parameters-ph, ammonia,nitrites,nitrates are ok?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Always do WC's. What's just as important is to vacuum out any uneaten food and detritus that hasn't been sucked up by the filter. If not you will get ammonia and nitrite spiked which may result in mini cycles and a bad environment for your fish.

Changing the Tank Water

If it's ok how often should I change the water?

Hello jo...

A rule I learned some time ago and has worked well for my tanks is: Tanks up to 30 gallons, need half the water changed once a week. Tanks larger than 30 gallons should have half the water changed every two weeks. The reason being that large tanks have more water in them and more water dilutes the wastes the fish produce, so the pollutants aren't as harmful to the fish.

If you're a good water changer, then you don't need to test the tank water to make sure it's safe for the fish, because large, frequent water changes always keep the water safe.

B

Hello jo...

A rule I learned some time ago and has worked well for my tanks is: Tanks up to 30 gallons, need half the water changed once a week. Tanks larger than 30 gallons should have half the water changed every two weeks. The reason being that large tanks have more water in them and more water dilutes the wastes the fish produce, so the pollutants aren't harmful to the fish.

If you're a good water changer, then you don't need to test the tank water to make sure it's safe for the fish, because large, frequent water changes always keep the water safe.

B

Agreed! Doing water changes replenishes the nutrients in the water as well as removing nitrates. For me (someone who doesn't use live plants), water changes are really the easiest way to keep my nitrate levels in check.

thanks guys. I got it now... I need to change fift percent every week and vacuum.

Yeah, the water seems to get stale if you leave it in too long. Also there are other toxins in our tanks thst we don't test for but need removed as well.

Back
Top Bottom