Dwarf Puffers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mattyfelts

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello everyone, around Christmas time I'm planning on switching a old 10 gallon tank to a dwarf puffer tank. I was just wondering how i should set it up (filtration, plants, substrate, heater, etc.). I have an abundance of snails of all ages for the puffer to eat so can anyone give me some tips, thanks!

Make sure that you have plenty of stimulant for the dwarf, they get bored easily. Never owned one, but did lots of research. Hope it helps

Aquaclears are the most efficient and popular form of HOB filters, and cheaper than canister. I'd recommend a Aquaclear 70, then dial down the flow so that your puffer does not get blown away. Its also big enough for when you want to consider upgrading tanks.

No favorable plants. Planted tanks are more maintenance IME, but cleaner water in between weekly water changes. You can get any plants, driftwood, fake decor, or caves as long as there lots of decor. Planted tanks tend to have substrate fertilizer, so you can use that in your own tank. Low light plants can just use any sand.

What your puffer will eat will depend on each individual taste bud, and whether your puffer can recognize food presented.

Aquaclears are the most efficient and popular form of HOB filters, and cheaper than canister. I'd recommend a Aquaclear 70, then dial down the flow so that your puffer does not get blown away. Its also big enough for when you want to consider upgrading tanks.

No favorable plants. Planted tanks are more maintenance IME, but cleaner water in between weekly water changes. You can get any plants, driftwood, fake decor, or caves as long as there lots of decor. Planted tanks tend to have substrate fertilizer, so you can use that in your own tank. Low light plants can just use any sand.

What your puffer will eat will depend on each individual taste bud, and whether your puffer can recognize food presented.
Yeha i was thinking an aquaclear 70, i have a 300 (which is a 70 just older model i believe) on my 20 g and its beautiful. Alrighty, otherwise I was thinking just some crypts and swords and anubias, along with some driftwood and some home made caves to give him or her lots of entertainment! Do you know what breeding them is like at all? (for future reference)

you'll be lucky if they breed at all. if they breed, they will act stranger than usual. inspect them daily, then perhaps you will come across some eggs. very few hobbyist have raised the fry. I think I heard somewhere that a chain store was breeding them, but not sure if that has any truth to it.

you'll be lucky if they breed at all. if they breed, they will act stranger than usual. inspect them daily, then perhaps you will come across some eggs. very few hobbyist have raised the fry. I think I heard somewhere that a chain store was breeding them, but not sure if that has any truth to it.
Well if i ever did breed them successfully, you'll be the first to know!

Would be fine IMO. Fish can't see their own reflection like humans can. Bare bottom means getting more water to dilute pollution.

Would be fine IMO. Fish can't see their own reflection like humans can. Bare bottom means getting more water to dilute pollution.
Yeah i imagine bare bottom, nice peice of DW maybe a tunnel or two made of slate, some plants attatched to the slate and DW?
I think it would turn out beautifully

Back
Top Bottom