eight at once?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mommytron

Aquarium Advice Addict
I want eight cardinal tetras for my 20 gallon tall planted tank. I am cycling right now, but very close to the end. I started with 4ppm of ammonia and then when it dropped, i started dosing a cap full (brought it to about 2 maybe 3ppm) of ammonia daily. I was wondering would it be OK to add eight cardinals all at once? Or should I do two batches of four?

agreed 8 should be fine..... you prob dont want to know how many i add at once.

thanks everyone! so it sounds like i may even be able to get away with 10?? i will also be adding 4-6 cories at some point (or otos, haven't fully decided). would this be overstocked??

Is that the only inhabitants? The 10 cardinals and 4-6 cories/otos? If so then I would say you are fine as far as stocking is concerned. I'd wait a few weeks and monitor your parameters after adding your cardinals - just to be safe.

yes, that would be the whole stock. i was originally thinking to add a dwarf gourami or two as centerpiece fish but i think the school of cardinals will be the centerpiece. i was definitely planning on waiting at least a week to add more fish after the cardinals, probably two.

Sounds like a good plan to me. There's just something about a lot (relative to tank) of little fish. :)

The only thing I can picture is that tank full of cardinals that you posted a while back. LOL.
lol shhh.... there is that saying do as i say not as a do right? lol
thanks everyone! so it sounds like i may even be able to get away with 10?? i will also be adding 4-6 cories at some point (or otos, haven't fully decided). would this be overstocked??
i would stick to the dwarf cories so you can add more of them.

Ottos need to be added to a mature tank, go for the cories they are hardier if you pick the right species

i am thinking either panda cories, skunk cories, or false julii cories. thoughts? any other cory suggestions?

I have to agree with that, panda cories are stunning. I even used to keep them with my discus at the higher end of the tempscale and they were fine but I suppose I shouldn't let that out really :eek:

ok so i'm leaning toward the pandas now. the habrosus are really cute too, but i've never heard of them but i saw pandas at the lfs a couple weeks ago. i was kind of leaning toward them anyway because i've read a lot around here that they are really playful in groups and i want personable fishies. :) plus the cardinals have horizontal stripes so skunks wouldn't be as nice a contrast as the panda cories. i'm getting very excited....it's almost fish time..... :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

yeah right now i can't justify buying them online when i can just drive down the road and buy them at my lfs. maybe someday but right now, i want to be able to pick my fishes out. :)

I really love the panda cories as well, and am quite fond of bandit cories too. I wish they would get along with my puffer :p.

Back
Top Bottom