emergency question - dying loach? and ram eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HeatherW

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi everyone! don't know what I should do...
I have a 90 gallon tank just finished cycling...
tested the water this morning... had nitrites of .25ppm but that was down after 3 days of 2ppm so I did not do a PWC today (did 2 yesterday)

so here is the problem. i should have 6 polkadot loaches in there - i am having trouble finding them. I see one for sure that looks like he is dying. I have tried to net him out but of course he runs away.

the second factor is my rams just layed eggs!!!

I don't know what I should do. the only thing I can think of is pretty much tear the tank apart trying to get this guy out and not sure that is really such a good idea for my rams... I can try doing a pwc to get the water level down - might make it easier to get him out. or... I could wait until morning and see what happens.

any suggestions??
OK, just retested my nitrites and they are 0ppm

well I decided to just wait until morning when I have someone else at home (and maybe I am not so tired) to see if I can get them out

Heather, sorry I missed your PM late last night, but I replied to it.

Messing with the rams might not be a bad thing. If you are going to tear the tank apart, you might expect to lose the clutch of eggs, although it isn't a certainty. If you plan to lose the eggs, you might as well slowly place your hand near the ram eggs and have the parents "attack" it. This will encourage a stronger pair bond to form, and if they do eat the eggs, you will most likely see them spawn again in 5-7 days if you keep up on the 25% every other day water changes. Just my two cents.

well maybe i overreacted... this morning they all seem to be doing fine. maybe they were just "resting". I have never really seen them do that and I have heard they kinda look like they are dead when they do that. In any case I checked today and I see 6 loaches going around looking "loachy" so I guess they are ok.

now i did notice that at least one of the loaches has kinda a round looking belly - looks like he is getting PLENTY to eat, so maybe I should cut down on the food in there...?

Back
Top Bottom