Equipment Recomendations Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bonno5id

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Just acquired a 70 gallon tank with no equipment. I have never had one of this size before. I have been out of the hobby for quite a long time and do not know what is being used today. What will I need to set up this tank properly? I want the most reliable,efficient equipment on the market. Thanks for your help and time James

That all depends on what you're looking for! Do you want a planted tank, what kind of stock are you planning, Etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What's your budget? If the tank is somewhat long you might want to consider 2 heater on opposite ends of the tank. A good liquid test kit is probably the first thing you should get. Many people use the API Master Test Kit.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That all depends on what you're looking for! Do you want a planted tank, what kind of stock are you planning, Etc.
Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
in the planning stages but at this point no live plants with community fish.

What's your budget? If the tank is somewhat long you might want to consider 2 heater on opposite ends of the tank. A good liquid test kit is probably the first thing you should get. Many people use the API Master Test Kit.

the tank is 15" deep 36" wide 30" high. Would like to get the best/reliable equipment available. Hesitantly say no budget but really have not looked at what was out there. Thought I would get recommendations from people who have success and failure with certain brands available. I am guessing I need a heater, under gravel filter,power head,air pump, canister and/or out of tank filter, proper light.(have hood). want to set this tank up properly from the start. Thanks for your help and time. James

You don't need the under-gravel filter.
I would recommend the following equipment: Fluval 406 canister, a battery operated air pump, and a Aqueon 200+ watt heater. The battery powered air pump so if the power goes out you can have gas exchange. hood light will be fine for fish a only light, the Fluval 406 should provide ample flow unless you want stream fish so that negates power head.
The most expensive thing on the list is the filter. If you want check out AquaClear hang on back filters, from what I have heard they are very quiet and powerful.

You don't need the under-gravel filter.
I would recommend the following equipment: Fluval 406 canister, a battery operated air pump, and a Aqueon 200+ watt heater. The battery powered air pump so if the power goes out you can have gas exchange. hood light will be fine for fish a only light, the Fluval 406 should provide ample flow unless you want stream fish so that negates power head.
The most expensive thing on the list is the filter. If you want check out AquaClear hang on back filters, from what I have heard they are very quiet and powerful.
thanks for the recommendations. is the Fluval the best on the market right now?

Fluval is good but there are others out these as well.. I currently use a cascade 1000 on my 55g and it is rated for 100g it is more than sufficient for the job! I recently purchased a sunsun 303B as it has a uv option in the event I get a green algae bloom, otherwise it will be turned off. Aquatop CF400UV is the same canister and the parts are interchangeable. The main reason why I am switching is that the parts are a plenty and cheap to buy (including media) to have a couple on hand as a spare for those sudden mishaps.

I run a fluval C4 as well on the 55g, plenty of media room and highly customize-able. Some mention they are noisy, but a smidgen of Vaseline on the impeller and it is silent.

Garry

Depends who you ask. Fluval and Eheim are both up there. I have the 406's smaller cousin the 306 and I can't complain with it. Makes a little noice but running my co2 into it probably doesn't help.
Others will say SunSun is good, but IMO you get what you pay for, and I have had bad experiences with Chinese manufactured things before. When I depend on it to work I want something I know won't fail.

so guys if you were me today and had your choice of any canister what would it be? Thanks James

Back
Top Bottom