Everything I Need To Know About Having A 10 Gal Fresh Water Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
1. You can ask severum mama about this (a member of this site) and she will tell you that, although chlorine can kill somethings in the water, tap water itself will not kill bacteria from the nitrosomonas and nitrobacter genera, the ones that live in our tanks and perform this cycle, as long as they are only exposed to tap water for a short period of time, which is exactly what I said. Seriously, I didn't mention chlorine or chloramines (which are in tap water) once.

2. I know that the shark won't get fully grown over night. What I said was that they need lots of room to swim, even if they are small, and need tankmates. Sure, a day is fine for one of them, but more than that is not good for them.

3. I wasn't criticizing your tank, I meant that the OP shouldn't only do 10% water changes weekly. At least 25% is needed, especially with that size tank.

Im sorry. I know that you were just giving advice. I know you weren't criticizing my tank. I over exaggerated. I think I just took your advice the wrong way. Again, im sorry.
:fish1: :fish2:

Im sorry. I know that you were just giving advice. I know you weren't criticizing my tank. I over exaggerated. I think I just took your advice the wrong way. Again, im sorry.
:fish1: :fish2:

That's fine :lol:

I think we both got a bit mad! I'm angry at someone else now so it's okay! :lol:

But really, so long as you take that with a grain of salt, which you did, it is better for everyone!

That's fine :lol:

I think we both got a bit mad! I'm angry at someone else now so it's okay! :lol:

But really, so long as you take that with a grain of salt, which you did, it is better for everyone!

I am glad that we're cool :) I think that we all get a bit touchy when it comes to our hobby :)

You sir clearly know way more than I ever will about said hobby, I just can't help but challenging this knowledge, I've found some of the posters on this forum to lose sight of the common goal when in search of higher ground, guess I was mistaken, cheers

I hope you know that they get to be giant too right? My friend has a 4000g pond and they have 7 and the tank looks overstocked...

Oh yeah I knew that! I hope to get a bigger tank in the future (when I get some money!). As for now, he's fine in his 10 gal :)

I hope you know that they get to be giant too right? My friend has a 4000g pond and they have 7 and the tank looks overstocked...

Lol 4000gallon and 7 comets or goldfish looks overstocked? Are you forgetting the 8 koi swimming among them?

You sir clearly know way more than I ever will about said hobby, I just can't help but challenging this knowledge, I've found some of the posters on this forum to lose sight of the common goal when in search of higher ground, guess I was mistaken, cheers

Nah man its cool :) As for the chlorine, it does kill a good portion of good bacteria, but a type such as Nitrosomonas can live without prolonged exposure. Cheers

:fish2:
:fish1:

Sorry, I guess I got a bit hot headed, I just couldn't resist using your pool analogy.

I got that knowledge from a veteran fish keeper on here, and I didn't want to see it wasted.

I actually don't have a lot of experience, I have one 20 gallon tank and am stocking a 10 gallon. So don't be discouraged! Just keep learning!

Sorry, I guess I got a bit hot headed, I just couldn't resist using your pool analogy. I got that knowledge from a veteran fish keeper on here, and I didn't want to see it wasted. I actually don't have a lot of experience, I have one 20 gallon tank and am stocking a 10 gallon. So don't be discouraged! Just keep learning!
Yah, I was at a family party, little too much vino, I apologize for the off topic ranting, the pool analogy was just awful on my part.

Holy Crap people... This has just been... Wow.

And back to being on topic!
To the op: what have you decided on for this tank?

Next, is this tank cycled? I have a sinking feeling that it wasn't cycled properly and if that's the case then your problems are just beginning :(

Holy Crap people... This has just been... Wow.

And back to being on topic!
To the op: what have you decided on for this tank?

Next, is this tank cycled? I have a sinking feeling that it wasn't cycled properly and if that's the case then your problems are just beginning :(

Yeah i didnt cycle it :/ i didnt know that i had to till i got this app but i made sure to make the tap water safe before puttinh in any fish but the sharbs seem ok they eat and swim together around and im planning on getting 3 more because i took the bala shark back

Yeah i didnt cycle it :/ i didnt know that i had to till i got this app but i made sure to make the tap water safe before puttinh in any fish but the sharbs seem ok they eat and swim together around and im planning on getting 3 more because i took the bala shark back

Sorry for getting off topic Kamek. Tiger barbs shouldn't be in a ten gallon either so I don't think you should get more.

Sorry for getting off topic Kamek. Tiger barbs shouldn't be in a ten gallon either so I don't think you should get more.

Yeah i know but i cant offord another tank right now so they need to stay in the 10 gal till i get a bigger tank but someone had said i could get 3 more to make a school of 6 but if i cant then i wont. Can i add any other fish? Or are the 3 barbs and the sucker fish all i can have?

Yeah i know but i cant offord another tank right now so they need to stay in the 10 gal till i get a bigger tank but someone had said i could get 3 more to make a school of 6 but if i cant then i wont. Can i add any other fish? Or are the 3 barbs and the sucker fish all i can have?

The tiger barbs are a very aggressive fish. I would honestly be surprised if they don't kill each other and the sucker fish you have, especially in that size of a tank.

The tiger barbs are a very aggressive fish. I would honestly be surprised if they don't kill each other and the sucker fish you have, especially in that size of a tank.

They actually dont. They dont harm the sucker fish at all and the barbs swim together and dont bother each other.

Back
Top Bottom