False test readings?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LaWoWee

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've been cycling my 20 gallon for 9 days now. New tank, new gravel, new HOB's but one has an old established bio wheel and the other has nothing but old used bio max from a fluval all from an existing tank. I've also been using a lot of Hagen cycle and stress zyme. Last couple of days I've been getting high nitrite and nitrate readings so yesterday I did a 40% WC with Seachem's Prime. Today, 24 hours later, I tested again and ammonia and nitrite are at 0, and nitrate at 20ppm. Am I getting false readings from the Prime? or has my tank completed its cycle already?

Thanks in advance!

LaWoWee said:
I've been cycling my 20 gallon for 9 days now. New tank, new gravel, new HOB's but one has an old established bio wheel and the other has nothing but old used bio max from a fluval all from an existing tank. I've also been using a lot of Hagen cycle and stress zyme. Last couple of days I've been getting high nitrite and nitrate readings so yesterday I did a 40% WC with Seachem's Prime. Today, 24 hours later, I tested again and ammonia and nitrite are at 0, and nitrate at 20ppm. Am I getting false readings from the Prime? or has my tank completed its cycle already?

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the site :). False readings are highly unlikely as long as you are using a quality test kit like an API Master kit. The Prime wouldn't be responsible for false readings because it doesn't actually remove ammo and no2, it only converts it temporarily to a non-toxic form which will still be visible on a quality test kit.

I wouldn't credit the cycling product or the Stress Zyme, but the seeded filter media is a fantastic source to get your tank established quickly. As long as these reading hold...it would appear your tank is cycled :). Continue to closely monitor your water parameters to make sure your tank remains stable. If you see any more spikes in ammo or no2...check out this guide to get you the rest of the way through. Good luck!
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...-but-i-already-have-fish-what-now-116287.html

Back
Top Bottom