feeding neons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bjtaylor

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I'm new to the forum and have just receantly set up a fresh water tank and completed a fishless cycle. I'm planning on getting a BGK but my LFS recommended to get some neons just to be sure the water is fine for the BGK. so now my tank has 10 neons swimming in it.

the shop told me to feed them one flake of tropical fish food between all of the every second day, until they are used to the tank, this just seems like a very small amount for the 10 of them so is it right? and how long do I do this for? how much do I feed them after?

What size is your tank? The BGK can get up to 18 inches, so you need AT LEAST 75 gallons for them to be comfortable.
Feed the neons as much as they can eat in about 3 minutes.

at the moment my tank is only 20gallon but I am planning on upgrading later down the track and the LFS said it would be about 18months before it got to big for the tank, as for the feeding, is that one a day?

That feeding is for one day. Some feed like that twice a day, but the fish will be fine with that one feeding.

I'd wait until you upgrade to get the knife. Plans are easily derailed by unforeseen events.

I got a BGK is August, he was 4 inches, and by Jan. he was 8 icnches, so they do grow fast. I would take Jim's advice and wait on the BGK. They are really sensitive anyway, so your tank should be WELL set up before you get one. I know it's hard, but it will be better for him if you wait. :)

Back
Top Bottom