Filling out schools.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr.Albiman

Aquarium Advice FINatic
In my 12 UK gallon (15 US gallon), i have:

6 x Harlequin Rasbora
5 x Male Endler
4 x Panda Cory
1 x Red Honey Gourami
1 x Rainbow Platy
1 x Zebra Nerite Snail
1 x Amano Shrimp

My question is, should i fill out the schools to 6 Cories and 8 Harlequin's? The Cories are pretty shy and stay hidden away a lot of the time and the female Harlequin's are egg-bound. Will adding more help/hinder their breeding? :D

If i took the Cories back to the LFS would i be able to up the Harlequin's to 10? I love the Harlequin's and the Cories to be honest don't do it for me. They just hide and I've had to buy a total of 10 just to get these 4 as they kept dying. 1 of the 4 looks on his way out now. I think this would be a better option for me. What do y'all think? :)

You're overstocked. I don't see the gourami in such a small tank with all those other fish. Something definitely has to go.

To be honest i want to start the whole stock again except the Harlequin's. The Platy is too messy and needs constant gravel cleaning, the Gourami chases the others quite a bit, the Cories keep dying and hiding and the Endler's are too 'random'. By random i mean that they look out of place. They're all different sizes and colours and they're all over the tank. I know it sounds harsh but the Harlequin's and my Nerite are the only one's i like. If i sent everything back to the LFS and upped the Harlequin's to 10, could i have a pair of Bolivian Rams? :D

The rams should really be kept in a 20 long minimum

With 15 gallons ur more looking at smaller schooling fish not many options for a 15 when it comes to centerpiece fish but u could go with a dwarf gourami or in some instances u could keep a betta as a community fish just make sure its planted to break up the line of sight... more opinions on a 15 gallon centerpiece would be good though

I persoanlly dont like seeing harlies in such a small tank just because i think they need room to spread out. But if you dont want to change them for anything else, even for a smaller rasbora, maybe you could take everything else back and get a true honey gourami because they stay small (not a honey dward gourami), or a betta or maybe a sparkling gourami since i dont they need to be in groups. Bettas are so striking, i adore them :)
Actually, a dwarf gourami could be ok too.

Mr.Albiman said:
How about a male and a female Dwarf Gourami? Would a Betta work with 10 active Harlequins?

I don't think 2 gouramis in such a small tank is advisable. They are not exactly friendly with each other. And there's just not enough space.
Harlies dont nip if the school is large enough, so i think a betta would be fine.

I have 10 HR in a 30g, and they are the only fish swimming in the water column besides a dwarf gourami. They spread out and are active. I feel like they are cramped, although they "fit" and are healthy. So thinking of 10 harlies in a tank half the size of mine is hard to imagine. I wouldn't do it, but you can certainly try. I would personally swap them for chili rasboras, since they are tiny and just as pretty.

Okay thanks for the advice guys. I think I'm gonna go with 8 Harlequin's and a Betta. I've had Chili Rasbora's before and they started disappearing. I'm going to stick with the Harlequin's. :D

Mr.Albiman said:
Okay thanks for the advice guys. I think I'm gonna go with 8 Harlequin's and a Betta. I've had Chili Rasbora's before and they started disappearing. I'm going to stick with the Harlequin's. :D

That's going to look so nice! I can imagine the colors of the harlequins really bringing out the colors of a blue betta for example. I loovvvee bettas, i wish they were more of a community fish because i would have as many as i could handle!

Haha, i hope so! My little brother is also getting a Betta for his 7 gal (9 US gal) hex tank. Then we'll have two! I've never kept a Betta before so I'm excited. I'll keep y'all posted. :)

I've decided to change the stock :3 how does this sound?:

8 x Harlequin Rasboras (already have 6)
1 x Female Betta Splendens
1 x Albino Bristlenose Plecostomus
1 x Zebra Nerite Snail (already have)
1 x Amano Shrimp (already have)

Personally, I do not think this tank is large enough for any pleco, not even a bristlenose.

Plus, sometimes bettas pick at the antenna of snails and attack shrimp. Just wanted to warn you. ;)

I know about the snail and the shrimp. That's why I'm going for a female Betta, to try and cut out aggression as much as possible. Plus the Betta's at my LFS are in community tanks with Nerite snails and I'm not going to be traumatised if the shrimp gets eaten. Thank you though. :D

really? I thought the minimum for a Bristlenose was 15 gallons?

Just my personal opinion regarding the BN.....

Female bettas are also very aggressive. Don't be fooled into thinking that they are girly girls and only interested in looking good. ;)

Okay, I'll wait for more opinions on the Bristlenose. :)

Haha :')
I know they can also be aggressive, but aren't they a little less aggressive than male's? :)

I wouldnt keep a.bristlenose in your tank.
Its too small IMO
And youre pretty much stocked to capacity and a.bristlenose will poop large amounts 24/7

Okay I'll scrap the Bristlenose :/

Any other nice bottom feeders? Kuhli loaches perhaps?

When you say my tank is at full stock limit, I'm not adding these fish to my current stock. I'm completely starting again with just Harlequin's and a Betta. Surely i have enough room (in terms of bioload) for some bottom feeders? I have 50gal filtration (Hagen Fluval U2 and a Interpet PF2)

Back
Top Bottom