filter cartridges

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shadylady23

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi everyone, I'm new here,

I've had a fish tank for about 7 years (55 gallon) and just now actually reading on how to take care of it properly. Luckily, we still have some survivors from when we set it up, so we haven't lost too many along the way. But I have a few questions, did I read that I don't need to replace my filter cartridges every month or so? Because I have been for years, and they aren't cheap! Also, we don't have one of those "bio wheel" things either, just the regular filter cartridges. If I get a bio wheel, how often do I have to change that filter? Or do I even need one?

I'm very interested in adding live plants as well, right now we just have fake ones. But I read a little and it seems that I have to do all this extra work by adding things to the water to keep them alive? Are there any plants that don't require anything special that you know of? Or maybe I should just stick to my fake ones?

Thanks in advance, I know I probably sound so juvenile, but just I started taking an interest again.
:)
~Mary

Most of us replace the filter cart only when it falls apart ... otherwise just rinse in tank water weekly to get rid of the crud & reuse. <Also, don't change out all the filter at once ... half at a time a few weeks apart is best so as not to destroy all the biofilter.>

Plants - depends on your light .... For stock light (fluorescent), Java ferns would be about as maintenance free a plant as you can get .... also maybe Anubias. If you have incandescent light, better stick with fake or switch lights. <Check out the stickies at the planted forum for more info on plants.>

And welcome to AA!!!

Cool, That will save us a little money to put towards plants! It's kinda ironic, I used to get on my husband about not buying new ones and just reusing the same ones, I thought the carbon would not work anymore or something.

Thanks for the info on the plants as well, I do have flourescent so I will look into those. :)

I'm sure I'll be back on soon because I just purchased some mollies and hoping to get some babies, so I'll probably need to figure out how to keep them alive...

Thanks again,
Mary

Most of us don't run carbon. Yes, the carbon will become inert (after only a few days or maybe a week) .... but you only need carbon if you need to pull out meds or something. So put fresh carbon in when you need to, but otherwise, run the "old" carbon as is ... it is a great media for your biologic filter.

Is there any thinking that carbon slows down the fishless cycling process timeline? Or no effect?

Do not use any activated carbon or any other filtering agents during the tank maturing process (cycling)!..........It will remove or reduce material used by the growing bacteria colonies.

Back
Top Bottom