Filter changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pearly

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have 4 small tanks with Aqueon built in filters (the tanks are those "betta bows" kits with filter and light) and bigger tank (resale so not sure of brands) bigger tank with filter that has canister hanging on a back of the tank. All filters take cartridges that need to be replaced every weeks. Question is, what is the best way to replace cartridge without risking disturbances in water chemistry balance? I've had some issues with cycling, then mini cycle.... Spent soooo much time and money (testing supplies and such) working sooo hard on getting things back on track don't want to take any chances with messing things up now that I seem to be finally getting somewhere. Should I somehow populate the new cartridge with bb from old one before putting it in? Sorry if that sounds dumb but I really don't know

All cartridges 'say' to replace them every few weeks. It's simply not necessary until they are literally falling apart. Swish them in some used tank water when you do a water change. When they do start to fall apart, stick a new one behind the old one for a few weeks to help seed it. Or cut up the old floss and stick it in with the new cartridge. That's about it! :)

Awesome!!! That's what I've been looking for! But how about one of the AA's expert opinion that says that carbon will start leaching out bad stuff back into tank after 3-4 wks. Thus need to change that often?

In order for carbon to leech anything, your ph would have to venture to extremes. No worries about your fish being affected by things leeching as they would not survive such a drastic ph swing anyway.

The larger majority of fw enthusiasts do not use carbon as its simply not necessary for a healthy tank. Yes, it has it purposes such as removing meds or odors, but constant use is not a 'must'. If your concerned about carbon, simply remove it from the cartridge and replace it with filter floss or filter foam or another type of media that is reusable. :)

In order for carbon to leech anything, your ph would have to venture to extremes. No worries about your fish being affected by things leeching as they would not survive such a drastic ph swing anyway.

The larger majority of fw enthusiasts do not use carbon as its simply not necessary for a healthy tank. Yes, it has it purposes such as removing meds or odors, but constant use is not a 'must'. If your concerned about carbon, simply remove it from the cartridge and replace it with filter floss or filter foam or another type of media that is reusable. :)

Got a question for you, my water is clear from the front, but if you look at it from the side it has a yellow tint to it, when I had the carbon in my filter at one time it didn't have that yellow tint.

My water parameters are good should I worry about the yellow? It honestly doesn't bother me at all. I figured it was because we have hard water here in south Florida?

Got a question for you, my water is clear from the front, but if you look at it from the side it has a yellow tint to it, when I had the carbon in my filter at one time it didn't have that yellow tint.

My water parameters are good should I worry about the yellow? It honestly doesn't bother me at all. I figured it was because we have hard water here in south Florida?

Do you have dw? Carbon does removes colors but I don't believe it has anything to do with your hard water. I would just make sure your wiping the inside of the glass prior to a wc. If it doesn't bother you, no big deal. If you want to run carbon to remove it, not a big deal either. :)

Thank you so much, appreciate your expertise on this. I'll have to study more on dyi filter techniques as for now the only thing I know is they take certain cartridges and the ones I have come prefabricated in plastic frames. Will need to learn more about alternatives as to provide healthy environment for my fish. Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom