Filtration for bioload or tank volume?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GEOlson

Aquarium Advice Regular
I understand that filtration needs to be sufficient for the size of the aquarium, but is it enough just to provide enough filtration for the amount of fish in the tank? For example, I have 10 guppies that I am going to move from a 20 gallon tank to a 55 gallon tank and the filters I have for the 20 gallon are rated to be for 30 gallon aquariums. If I move those filters over to the 55 gallon aquarium and don’t add anymore fish, is that filtration sufficient for the bioload? Or is it more important to cycle ‘x’ number of gallons per hour?

It is important to reach both, or whichever is higher. As in, in the 55 you may have enough filtration (media to process the ammonia produced and remove all debris), but you won't have enough flow for the media to do its job. This means that instead of being trapped in the filter for you to remove, the debris will settle around the tank and rot. So your 55 definitely won't need the same amount of filtration as someone with a 55 gallon mbuna tank (at least not until the guppies turn it into a guppy cloud), but you will at least need more flow in the 55 than you have in the 20.

If your ammonia and nitrite numbers are 0, you have enough filtration. Flow and rate of turnover, mean nothing if the filter is doing it's job. So, the answer to the original question, is that a filter needs to be geared to the bioload, not the size of the tank. Filter ratings are guides to assist when choosing a product, and your mileage may vary. Keep in mind that posters on forums know more about filtration than the manufacturers of the filters.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, this helps a lot. I just wanted some kind of agreement that when I move my fish the filters will be sufficient until I can get better.

Back
Top Bottom